My Engine Idea....Tell me what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Engine Idea....Tell me what you think

I am going to be building a sbc for my Chevelle....For cheap.

Here is what I am thinking...tell me what you think. I really want an engine that will turn out power up to 6500rpm. I am planning on a much more aggressive engine at a later point, but think this should satisfy the horsepower gene until then.....and there is always nitrous if I get bored with it ;D

94 350 4-Bolt shortblock
    Vortec Heads....Out of a junkyard.
    Weiand High Rise Stealth Intake
    Edelbrock 650 Carb
    234/244 @.050/ .510/.510 lift cam
    Comp Valvesprings to deal with the extra lift and rpm

Bench Race away.....Do you think it needs more cam? How much power do you think it should make?

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Re: My Engine Idea....Tell me what you think

this is something I am interested in, don't have anything to contribute but will definitely keep an eye on this.

Comment

Before I answer I'd like to know what you got already on the shelf.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention the 1 5/8" headers that I just put on the car....

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Not much on the shelf currently.....Just waiting to go pickup the 94' longblock...

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I not sure what the specs on the GM HotCam is, but a Vortech 350 with that cam has been done a million times and is known to make 425hp.

Comment

The GM Hotcam is 218/228 a .050 w/ .492 lift.....runs out of steam before 6000rpm.

I am thinking I want a little more cam than that. 8)

Seth
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Is that cam a hydraulic? If so it needs more cam, but I say be a man and put a solid in it. ;D Do you really care how much power it makes or do you want it to be fun to drive? I'm willing trade some power for it to sound mean as hell at a stoplight and "get up on the cam" and scream if it's a driver that supposed to be for fun. The GM Z/28 off-road cam is cheap, uses cheap valve springs, stock retainers, and will work reliably with cheap rocker arms.

Comment

I intend on driving/beating the !&%$ out of this motor...I like to drive my car a lot....Thousand miles a month or more....I want a mean sounding (I am going with Thrush 2 Chamber mufflers on 3" Pipes that dump before the axle), good power, with lower maintenance, and lots O' rpms.

I am looking at using a hydraulic cam.

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Ya but doesn't a '94 350 have a hydraulic roller cam.

Comment

Maybe and maybe not. Some have the roller cam block casting but used a flat tappet cam and aren't machined for the roller lifter hardware. Just have to look and see what you've got.

Comment

Close to what TC said, at the flywheel, I'd think.
                        Should be a good street romper.

Comment

we built a similar motor for my freind's s10. vortec heads, professional products performer imitation, cast flat tops, and the cheapest cam we could find in the PAW catalog. I don't remember the grind but it is a hyd.flat tappet cam that has .509 lift and an EVIL sounding rumble at idle. I think we spent less than $1000 bucks building this engine and it has been in three different cars. It put the s-10 and a 82 trans am in the 12.80s with ease.
                          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Thanks guys....Evil Sounding is very good.

Sounds Like I am on the right track....

Seth
                            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Based on your comment about changing valve springs I think you may already be on top of this . . . however, be aware that retainer to guide clearance is known to run out near .480" lift with the Vortecs. Just make sure the bottom of the retainers do not smack the top of the valve guides.

A +.050 lock can be used to buy another .050 clearance but you have to shim the spring up the same amount to keep seat pressure the same.

I like the combo. Should run good. Does not need more cam unless you give it more compression (assuming you are keeping the factory hydraulic roller lifters). In fact I have heard great things about the GM hot cam in this application.

Comment

Working...
                              X