Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 and the 4.3

please no V8 hounding....

will the 3800 heads bolt to a 4.3v6? i figured maybe this way i could run aluminum heads wihtout shelling out a million dollars for discontinued bow tie units. would the chambers be entirely to small, like 305 heads on 350? heck if i could run 3800 heads then i could use a 3800 intake and maybe fabb up a muti port system for the 4.3

Re: 3.8 and the 4.3

3800 is based on the old 3.8 Buick V6, whereas the 4.3 V6 is a Chev design, basically a 305 with two cylinder lopped off. From what I know, there would not be any mixing and matching possible between them. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a dumb Ford guy. ;D

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by mikeasis
      please no V8 hounding....

will the 3800 heads bolt to a 4.3v6? i figured maybe this way i could run aluminum heads wihtout shelling out a million dollars for discontinued bow tie units. would the chambers be entirely to small, like 305 heads on 350? heck if i could run 3800 heads then i could use a 3800 intake and maybe fabb up a muti port system for the 4.3

uh no!

Comment

The 4.3 is a 350 not a 305, it has a 4in bore. The 3.8L is the classic Buick V6 and the only aluminum heads are aftermarket. The 3800 is to the 3.8L like the Gen III/IV is to the SBC and I don't think there are any heads there either unless ZZP has gotten thiers out by now. Eitherway it won't work. The new 4.3L's have an MPFI setup I believe. The 3.8L only has the Turbo motor intakes with the throttlebody on the right side and MPFI, all the rest would be backwards due to the cooling passages. The 3800 is a better bet with better heads than either the 3.8L Buick or 4.3L Chevy unless you count the Buick Stage II or Chevy Bowtie racing heads and a better block design. What are you trying to do?
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'm pretty Wentzler still makes heads for the 4.3. I almost bought some on EBay once.
          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

trying to get the most outta my 4.3 without breaking the bank and not going v8, looks like vortecs it is then...id like to get 300hp outta the 4.3 but the TBI system is what is choking it...i believe the 4.3 to be a good motor, with decent heads and fuel system it should be capable of that easliy

i was pretty sure the 3800 was way different than the 3.8 of back in the day....
            i was hoping since it was redesigned chevy motor intakes and things like that would interchange, knew the throttle body would be on the opposite side but figured the 3800 was like the 3400 and the upper intake ubolts and looks to bolt on in either direction.....

would the 3800 bolt to the standard chevy bell? what kinda of parts are out there for the 3800 and what kinda power do you think i could make with it? i know i was checking into the 3400 at one time and just getting engine parts was a task(a rebuild "kit" i could never find)

the latest 4.3 ive seen was i guess mutil-port, had the spider web lookin deal under the intake to each injector but the throttle body was on the top center of the engine, almost looking like throttle body injection

Comment

A 3800 takes a Metric 60º V6 bell housing commonly found on S10 trucks and F-bodies. The intake will bolt on backwards but it won't cool properly since the thermostat would now be in the back of the engine and you'd hotspot the front cylinders. Quite a few 3800s has been in the 9's on a stock block, crank, and I believe rods. Pistons were Diamond semi customs and the engines were forced induction but the basic package is pretty stout and the parts are "specialized" but hardly unavailable.

That late model 4.3 you found sounds like the Central Port Injection motor that's poo but the short block is fine. The later stuff as best I know actually has the injectors in the plenum but actually on the runners. I found one with the lid off of it at the pull a part 3 weeks ago looking for a trans crossmember.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

chevy had some wild splayed valve heads for imsa gtp and imsa racing for the 90 degree vee six
                they also made an 18 degree head
                buick had monster heads that smokey yunick , bill jenkins and reher morrison had a hand in designing
                dart later made the stage 2 buick heads to fit an SBC - for bobby allison , nascar said no , but nhra approved them and they screamed in comp eliminator
                lots of vee sixes running hard on comp still , go to an nhra event and check em out
                ford had a storming vee six back in the busch days too , yates style heads
                jeff gordon , mark martin , kyle petty , elton sawyer

Comment

Working...
                X