Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combustion chamber slot what the....?

Can't wait to read some of your reactions to this:

Introduction to my Combustion Chamber Innovations and Theory, based on my US Patents : US6237579 & US10393063 achieved after extensive Cut & Try experiments to refine and perfect my designs on Road & Tracks.Some Basic Facts of Combustion: Without Oxygen there is no form of Combustion. Any form of Combustion results in Oxides, Finally, Nitrogen […]
    There's always something new to learn.

Re: Combustion chamber slot what the....?

Sounds a little too much like an ad for a "magnetic-infrared vortex fuel bubble-izer" but has some interesting points. Guess you'd have to just try it and see. Remember, if you do...they'll hold the patent on cutting a groove in your combustion chamber so you'll have to send them money. ;)

Comment

Well since they are not trying to make any money off of it, I'll say it's plausible. ;)

Comment

Have seen similar stuff in diesels, where they spend a LOT more time working on combustion chamber design...

although I'd believe that with forced induction you'd be looking at hot spots along the ridges that would cause other problems.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Agreed.

Those may negatively affect mixture control.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
            Agreed.

actually i am pretty sure anything in the combustion chamber that "stirs" the mixture is a good thing.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Didn't both GM and Ford try this and end up with valve shrouding and carbon hotspot buildup?
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                Originally posted by min301
                Agreed.

actually actually I am pretty sure anything in the combustion chamber that "stirs" the mixture is a good thing.
                Didn't both GM and Ford try this and end up with valve shrouding and carbon hotspot buildup?

Would seem so...

Comment

We used to cut grooves in the heads of our snowmobiles almost 20 years ago. I don't it's new.
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

IIRC, there was a big discussion about this on the big block Ford list. It's been around for a while.

Comment

Lets all carve big swirls in the tops of our pistons and make cumbustion chambers look like

;D

Comment

You could really get some good swirl going with that Jay ;D

Seriously though, it's been around for a while and never caught on. Been tested a bunch too and very few serious engine guys bother (frankly, none that I know of). Seems like everyone would be doing this by now if if had proven worth while (it's cheap to do). If a combustion chamber and port are right to begin with you shouldn't have to do any weird tricks to improve combustion.

Comment

You know, I don't think this slot idea is about making more turbulence in the chamber. For one they are talking about the "quench area". Take a look at this pic and look at the quench area, see how the aluminum is showing on the edges of where the cylinder walls are.

Now look at this pic, that has a groove through the quench area, see how you can't see anymore aluminum around the edges.

Basically it's the old line of gun powder to the explosive trick. Basically by creating that groove your giving the flame in the combustion chamber a bigger route into the quench areas, thus allowing the fuel that is trapped in there to ignite easier.

So I guess if you want to know it you should do it or not, go pull a head and see if you have any clean spots. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                            You know, I don't think this slot idea is about making more turbulence in the chamber. For one they are talking about the "quench area". Take a look at this pic and look at the quench area, see how the aluminum is showing on the edges of where the cylinder walls are.

Now look at this pic, that has a groove through the quench area, see how you can't see anymore aluminum around the edges.

Basically it's the old line of gun powder to the explosive trick. Basically by creating that groove your giving the flame in the combustion chamber a bigger route into the quench areas, thus allowing the fuel that is trapped in there to ignite easier.

So I guess if you want to know it you should do it or not, go pull a head and see if you have any clean spots. ;)

It's the only reason for it.
                            The groove, or whatever you mods you do to the chamber,
                            is to create turbulence, and keep the a/f mixture suspended, and mixed.

it's not worth bothering, as Eric stated.
                            I can hear it now....

Comment

If I pulled a head like the one with all the OIL on the valve heads, I'd probably look more into why thats there.

I don't think the slots lean the engine out, or make it less "oily"....it looks like someone forgot to install valvestem seals on one intake and exhaust set.

Didn't someone post up a Buicks cylinder head picture a while back that looked just like this?....CTX Sleeper? or the Impala guy?

It looks very familiar...and he found (I think?) a loose guide causing the same thing....

without all the fancy slots and theorization of the combustification of the compressionulation of the gaseous matterization of the intakeification?

If this ^ sounds like bs...it should....just like head slots............

BTW, a loose ring package will do the same thing...wash down the edges of the head. The coldest areas are the thickest. They don't "burn" as fast or fully. The oil residue from a loose ring pack will "wash" the coldest part of the cylinder clean...and give the the result you see. This is really prodominant in engines with "cut" piston edges.
                              You know, the pistons with the 45* 1/4" wide area at the piston top/side? (Think stock SBC)
                              Its not as common on pistons with "sharper" corners...which BTW have better quench due to less total "squish" area around the piston edge.

The cylinder next to it probably has tighter rings and a better valve to guide clearance?...or undamaged seals?....maybe a tighter rod bearing?...or an unworn piston/ring set?

This is like Probability and Statistics 101....if you rig the question right, you can get whatever answer you want.

Unfortunately, there ain't money in slots.

If there were, someone would sell
                              "pre-slotted, patented quench combustion chambered heads, that show a 50hp increase in conventional, obsolete head technology".

The Chinese copy-cat-ers probably already have them.... 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X