GM 10SI Alternator wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM 10SI Alternator wiring

Hello All, I am in the process of rewiring my 67 firebird. I am currently in the engine compartment and have an alternator question. I am swapping out the external voltage regulator which was completely butchered to an internal 10SI alternator. I want to use my factory ammeter and I don't think this has any bearing on the type of voltage regulation I am using, is this correct? Also, do I need to do anything with the "R" terminal which I believe is for the idiot light which I do not have?

Thanks,

Bob

Re: GM 10SI Alternator wiring

I usually run the R wire thru a resistor (about 10 ohms) to ignition power.

My guess is that the factory ammeter is probably the low current type, so you just need to make sure the wires for it are connected at either end of the main power wire that connects to the battery cable. But I could be way off...so do some research first!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The factory ammeter on my 65 Impala is wired through the horn relay. There's a wire that goes from the battery over to it. Then it powers the fuse box from the relay.

I have my internal regulated alternator wired into an auxiliary fuse box that is ignition on hot.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        I usually run the R wire thru a resistor (about 10 ohms) to ignition power.

My guess is that the factory ammeter is probably the low current type, so you just need to make sure the wires for it are connected at either end of the main power wire that connects to the battery cable. But I could be way off...so do some research first!
        Thanks for the response.

I have read similar descriptions for the R terminal. What is being accomplished by running this line through a 10ohm resistor?

My Wiring kit came with pretty good instructions for the factory ammeter that I plan to use. I thought about it and I guess my question for that should have been, will the high amperage alternator make the ammeter non functional?

Comment

The ammeter should not care about how much current the alternator is capable of putting out.

The internal voltage regulator has an "excitor" which is powered by the R terminal....at least that's what I think is going on. I know that genuine 1 wire alternators don't have the R terminal and don't start charging until the engine is revved up a ways above idle.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Okay, thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              The ammeter should not care about how much current the alternator is capable of putting out.

The internal voltage regulator has an "excitor" which is powered by the R terminal....at least that's what I think is going on. I know that genuine 1 wire alternators don't have the R terminal and don't start charging until the engine is revved up a ways above idle.

They only have to revved once and they start charging.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I rewired a friends 67 firebird following most of the stuff covered here during a 10SI conversion:

http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

http://madelectrical.com/electricalt...evymain1.shtml

If you give Mark H (MAD) a call, he'll answer any questions you might have.

I did the headlight mod too, which is really a more noticeable improvement than you would think if you do any night driving.
                Tampa, FL

Comment

Donīt install the ammeter.

http://madelectrical.com/electricalt...p-gauges.shtml

Comment

Working...
                  X