400 OR 350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 400 OR 350?

I have one makes good power :, dont spray it and dont go more than .030 over with it, to go 7.0s or faster you wont need to in a Malibu. Mine is a 400 two bolt, splayed caps, bushed lifters. If I was going from scratch... Get a world, or dart block the money is close from starting on a 400 block get the big bore and stroke a 434 eagle set up 3500.00 for the whole shorty, pull it apart and check it and be able to turn the number in the hot summer air.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Thanks guys a really appreciate all the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by GO OR BLOW RACING
        Thats what ive been hearing. They dont like heat an dont like rpm.
        Back in the '70's I used to build them for circle tracking at 406 ci. The crank main journal is bigger, so a little more oil pump helps to offset the higher bearing speed. A 6.00 rod and a custom piston is a good idea too, yielding a good 1.6 ratio. The bores are siamesed, so they don't expand at the same rate all around. What I did was put the torque plate on cold, let it sit over night, then run hot water through it, about 205° until the whole block is hot and then hone it with a fixed CK-10.

A block heater is a good idea, to keep the water hot at start up. These engines could run a whole season, where other 400 guys were killing them right and left. Don't know if I am right, but that's what I did and we took home a lot of bacon.

Comment

Or you can get spacer bearings so you can run the standard crank in the 400 block. They look scary, but it seems that they work. (That was why I suggested that you cold reuse your 383 crank in a 400 block).

IMO, 0.040 over is also an option. Pistons at 4.165 are easy to get.

Comment

Interesting Bill -- I have often wondered about honing blocks when cold vs honing at running temps.

Comment

Hot honing is back. Lots of NASCAR teams use it. Expensive.

Comment

Working...
              X