16 horse twin onan engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 horse twin onan engine

I'm trying to put a onan 16 hp engine into a old tractor and don't have the wiring harness. Only info that you probably need to now is that it has a coil and condenser, and a ford style solenoid, a regular block mounted starter, not sure how this thing charges the battery but probably a magnet is generating the juice on the flywheel. Can anyone tell me how to wire it upto the ingition switch ?

Re: 16 horse twin onan engine

the ignition switch is going to suply a positive on the ignition side which must be ran through a relay to ground the magneto to shut it off, there should be a random wire sticking out from under the flywheel somewhere that will be the load/charge wire ran directly to the battery, no you are going to need a togle betwee nteh pos supply on the relay and the battery or the relay will drain the battey in a matter of days because you are going to hook the relay up backwards the switch off when released a normal 5 pin relay should work just fine. on the back of the key there should be a battery spot and a solenoid spot that should be self explanitory, the ford style solenoid i self explanitory. The magneto wire instead of going directly to the battery may also go to the ignition side of the key If this paint drawn diagram dont answer it i can kinda break it down more

Comment

Thanks alot.I'll give it a go tomorrow after work .

Comment

I had some problems with this diagram (my motor is wired where the starter has a live cable(positive+ ) to the starter and then when the switch on the solinoid gets tripped it completes the ground to the starter.Any way got it started and drove it around and the hydro-stat and the hydraulic deck lift work great. Just need to figure out a few more wires for the charging but shouldn't be too bad thanks.

Comment

sorry couldnt have worked first time round, thats kinda odd that teh ignition trips ground. lol as long as it still shuts off too.

Comment

Working...
          X