Air cleaner on a drag car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air cleaner on a drag car

Anyone run an air cleaner on their drag car? If so, I would like to see some pictures if possible, so I can get some ideas for my car. I am running a huge ram air type like on the '68 dart and barracuda factory drag cars.

Re: Air cleaner on a drag car

I run a 14x5 K&N with the filter lid. Nothing fancy like ram air...just a cowl hood.

Comment

nice malibu! i have one 2 ;D! what size motor u run?

Comment

I run the Uni-Filter, seems to catch a lot of junk when you spray the supplied oil on it. The oil is very tacky so it catches the dirt real well. I have not had it on very long, but I notice that it is changing color from the dirt it has caught.

Comment

I always run an air cleaner..Here are some pics of mine..

Comment

I don't have any relevant pictures, but I know a couple of people who lost motors due to sucking in debris while going down the track because they didn't run air cleaners. One was a dragster with a 540" Reher & Morrison engine that sucked in an Allen wrench kicked up off the track. Lots of damage on a very expensive engine. I've got 2 little round air cleaners in the Hillborn-style scoop on my dragster. It's a tunnel ram with 2 Carter AFB's.

Comment

I run a 16 x 4 inch round K&N on my Dominator.

Comment

I would suggest that you go to the track and do some testing with various air cleaner types and styles. Borrow some stuff from your friends and see what works best on your car and gives you the best trap speed.

On mine, I have a home made cowl pan and a 1-1/2" drop base with a good gentle radius into the carb. The top has a radius to match the bottom. I have hood clearance challenges so I had to play around to get something that would fit and work well.

BTW My car was faster with almost every air cleaner I tried when compared to no air cleaner at all.

Comment

Go or Blow...it's a 468. You should also check out MalibuRacing.com

Yep, tested with and without. No difference and nuthing but clean air gets in.

Comment

I run a 14x5 K&N

Comment

maybe GOAT RACER aka (brock) will chime in on this one. he has a really interesting setup he made himself. very cool ;D ;D

Comment

I use a K&N 14x3 with a moroso drop base. It has a real nice radius up to the carb. Its also all that fits under the stock hood.

Comment

A Holley needs a base at least, and stay away from the K&N flow thru tops they will rob power from a Holley as they dont like air from the top only the sides, and a Nascar trick is to intall a triangle into the air cleaner to direct the air  :
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by mopower58
                            I run a 16 x 4 inch round K&N on my Dominator.

This is the same air filter we have on our 950 carb. No problems drag racing with it, our son never liked air filters when he raced, and his daddy use to lecture him all the time about it, the filter is on all the time now.....This one just fits under the cowl hood.....he had another but it didnt fit, and it shines up real sweet also at shows.....we had to do some minor adjustments to the nut on it though, to get it to fit, the small blower raised our filter up a bit....

Comment

I used to always run a K&N but after talking with the Geek on another board I think I'm gonna ditch that Idea...

I might give him a shout and have him speak on this subject for you guys...

Comment

Working...
                              X