To EGR or not to EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To EGR or not to EGR

I'm getting ready to install the headers on my '99 Camaro, and was wondering if I should remove the EGR system on my car. My programmer has an option to turn off the EGR system in the computer so that it doesn't throw a code, so I won't have to worry about the SES light being illuminated on the dash. So what do you think, will I get a performance gain buy doing it, or will the gain not be big enough to justify removing it.

Re: To EGR or not to EGR

Odds are you won't net any gains as it's closed at upper rpm and WOT anyways.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So it's more of a part throttle/ low rpm type of thing.

Do you think it will hurt gas mileage by removing it or could it increase it?

Comment

I think it was in a PM I was debating this with someone about part throttle and the EGR in engine efficiency. With the precise computer control of an electronic EGR it eliminates drivability issues the old carb/vacuumed ones have. The line of thought I persuing with it was using the EGR to intentionally take space away from Air/Fuel to try and make the engine (455 in my case) think it's smaller than it really is in attempt to gain gas mileage. I think if it works it would be a really really minor gain, on top of that my new intake does not have an EGR port so I dropped the idea. The flip side is at part throttle while cruising I don't think it will hurt it at all since the computer takes it into account when controlling it (plus the O2 readings keeping A/F where it's needs to be). The only time the electronic EGR has a real effect on performance is when they malfuntion and or stick open from carbon build up.

The short answer is I don't think it will effect it one way or the other, but brings it down to tail pipe emissions and NOx emissions.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If you have a computer controlled engine, there's no real gain from removing it. Like TheSilverBuick said, it's closed off at full throttle anyway, and it may help with gas mileage.

Comment

in older cars having EGR working keeps them from pinging under some conditions.

You don't have to deal with smog police up there?
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Given my history, I'd say retain it. It really won't hurt performance for reasons stated above, and it really will decrease gas mileage a bit if you disconnect it. What EGR does is slightly lower combustion chamber temps, which lowers NOx. NOx is formed as a result of high temps, pressure, and time (it takes a while for NOx to happen, which is one reason that Diesels make so much of it). Anyhow, there's no gain in removing it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                in older cars having EGR working keeps them from pinging under some conditions.

You don't have to deal with smog police up there?
                Well yes and no, I have to go through emissions, but they don't open the hood. They just plug the car into their computer and that's it. Hell they don't even look under the car for the catalytic converters, which I will be deleting when I put the headers on. And if they do end up giving me crap, I can always register it up in ShowLow where there is no emissions.

Comment

the backpressure loss from headers will cool things down enough
                  if they don't check -switch the LT1 to a carburetor too
                  that would run good

Comment

He's got an LS1 Spidey.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                    X