Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

racing with a tank instead of a radiator, cooling issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/Fuel
    replied
    Re: racing with a tank instead of a radiator, cooling issues?

hey i don't know, i'm a stupid dragracer, no one drew me a picture ok. i never said it wouldn't work, i just had a picture in my mind of pressurizied water running under a car.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Originally posted by A/Fuel
    i guess, but if they break it's only air hitting the track, not water.

There are COOLANT LINES running back to a water reservoir as most of the drag guys run water/air intercoolers. Hubers mustang has coolant lines running from the underhood intercooler, back to the water reservoir in the trunk. pretty much every turbo guy runs this combo FYI.

So his idea is far from stupid. This is reason numero uno, in my opinion, why Landspeed racing beats the sh!t out of drag racing. Because every new idea comes with positive input and support. And some of the time, the replies even come with knowledge and experience!

Leave a comment:

• A/Fuel
    replied

i guess, but if they break it's only air hitting the track, not water.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Originally posted by A/Fuel
    ok, lets just say it will work for the short time the car is running. my consern is where will the coolant lines/ hoses be routed?
    the extra length, plus all the moving, flexing, hot parts in the way could be a safty issue.
    how would his config be any different than the XXX thousands of guys running intercooler tanks in the trunk??? same safety issue, right?

Leave a comment:

• A/Fuel
    replied

ok, lets just say it will work for the short time the car is running. my consern is where will the coolant lines/ hoses be routed?
    the extra length, plus all the moving, flexing, hot parts in the way could be a safty issue.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

Thanks, that means a lot! Its hard to tune all those Drag Week cars, and make it a week, my hats off to all the guys that even try. Seeya this year.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
    Thats me to a T
    Congrats on your DW win this year. I was there to watch it. I think it takes more talent to win the way you did, than those of us working on the forced induction class cars. I'm always impressed with someone doing the maximum they can, with minimum parts. To me it means you are a guy who can tune the *whole* combo and I have a ton of respect for that.

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

Thats me to a T

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

don't let JeffMcKC get under your skin, his posts seem harsh (they are) and he seems opinionated (he is) and just like the rest of us, sometimes he's going to be wrong...

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

Don't take my sarcastic nature as a reason not to try it. Hell I would try it if I believed in it no matter what someone says, I should listen to them more. I got to tell you I learn way more from a guy who does not agree with me than the ones that do. I am a weight guy what I take out of the car lets me keep my belly. LOL  I have worked on a few small tire cars and when properly set up they hook well, real well! Most guys won't do the work in the spring and shock area they need to so they will work right, this is where the creativity will show up. If you want more rear % lighten the front, when doing this you do two things car hooks, and less weight same power it goes faster. Add your 300 then. Its just my experience a properly done light car will always out run a heavy car

Kieth you never leave your Wingman!

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

Whooooa ... Seriously... I know Jeff well and he's simply providing the opposing side of this argument... and he's right in theory... and very well qualifed... Winner of one of the Drag week category's and he helped another guy win his ( which I respect more then his win )... ...

Anyway... the point is... he's okay and not trying to quash us here... he's just saying it's not a reasonable option... He's playing the "moral Majority" ( he's wrong as hell and we both know it... but we don't have to share that with him...)

And we don't care... cause we're not looking for the common opinion or option...we already know that...

In one of my cars I run a radiator submerged in a water tank... it really is an old theory used in WW2 Aircraft... it's called a total loss system because the water around the radiator boils off and heat extracted from the radiator as a result of evaporation maintains the temp at no more then 212 degree's at sea level... ( at Bville's 4000' water boils at 190 ) You just have to keep adding water over time

Basically There is nothing new to learn... our forefathers did all this stuff... it always comes back to Autoshop 101...

K

Leave a comment:

• flyinhillbilly
    replied

i talked to one of our local 10.5 limited guys that runs a 5 gallon tank with no radiator and a turbo'd sbf, and he says the heater cores are not needed, his never gets over 150. he drives it to the line, and back up the return road to his pit every time.

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
    Let us know how much it slows down, adding weight to a limited tire car is not a good idea .. in drag racing LOL
    yea, thanks for your opinion. funny how i didn't ask if it would slow down anywhere isn't it? god forbid someone try something outside the box. if you want to stroke your e-ego by slamming someone's idea's please do it elsewhere. i have found several intelligent, reasonable people that can answer nearly any question that i can come up with and DO NOT NEED YOUR INPUT. this seems like a generally cool place full of genuine gearheads, but you are the second know-it-all i have happened across so far. if people won't ask questions because they're afraid some jackass like you will run them into the dirt then we don't really need a tech section here do we? and save me your resume' i don't care, i'll bet cash money that i can hand you your ass on a 275/60/15 true radial tire, as a matter of fact i beat all comers in this class last year and am making several changes at once to try and step up the program. fyi i'll actually be loosing around 150lbs from in front of the front wheels, and adding around another 300hp. do me a favor, in the future just don't reply to my posts ok?

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

Let us know how much it slows down, adding weight to a limited tire car is not a good idea .. in drag racing LOL

Leave a comment:

• flyinhillbilly
    replied

Originally posted by KeithTurk
    Guys... he's NOT driving this car anywhere but on a strip... and he needs the traction... with a thermostat.... this thing works like stink....

There is a better way... which is to put the Radiator in a water tank... but that is another complicated story ... ( you could look up WW2 aircraft though )

K
    i will definatley have to look into that, thanks for the tip.

Leave a comment:

• BlackoutSteve
    replied

Originally posted by flyinhillbilly
    an 8 or 12 gallon tank in the trunk.
    Actually, I thought about it and I changed my mind. I think it could work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X