Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

racing with a tank instead of a radiator, cooling issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackoutSteve
    replied
    Re: racing with a tank instead of a radiator, cooling issues?

"he's NOT driving this car anywhere but on a strip.." I know, but a turbocharged 355 with 25 lbs of boost doing a burnout and a run will make a heap of heat. I still doubt it's effectiveness or ability to maintain an ideal temp.
    How long between rounds?

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

Guys... he's NOT driving this car anywhere but on a strip... and he needs the traction... with a thermostat.... this thing works like stink....

There is a better way... which is to put the Radiator in a water tank... but that is another complicated story ... ( you could look up WW2 aircraft though )

K

Leave a comment:

• BigBlockMopar
    replied

Instead of a tank why not put the entire radiator somewhere in the back then? At least you still have some heattransfer.

Leave a comment:

• BlackoutSteve
    replied

As soon as your engine is up to temp, it will quickly overheat.
    I doubt the engine will maintain a consistant/ideal temperature for any amount of time.

You could try exactly the same idea by removing your fan and placing cardboard over the core of your radiator.
    Go for a drive and see how much you hate it first before going to the bother of installing the tank and plumbing.

Leave a comment:

• flyinhillbilly
    replied

Originally posted by Green Junk
    make sure you select a spring to support the additional weight in the back, otherwise you might have squating problems which will make it spin
    good point. the whole front end of the car is going on a diet this winter, i'm going to a rack and pinion, and a fiberglass hood, plus i'm ditching the radiator that i was running last year even if i only replace it with an aluminum one, that sucker weighed about 50lbs dry !!!

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

make sure you select a spring to support the additional weight in the back, otherwise you might have squating problems which will make it spin

Leave a comment:

• flyinhillbilly
    replied

thanks for the replies guys, i'm leaning toward going for it. i have a 4 wheeler that i can tow back with so it wouldn't be actually running for more than a couple of minutes at a time. i also figured that i'd plumb in a ball valve as a drai and if it started getting hot i could dump a couple of gallons and replace it with ice. i talked to my local radiator shop about it and they told me that with the heater cores it should be fine, they say it would amaze you hom much heat those things can exchange. i figure -50lbs in front of the front tires, and +100 behind the rear tires should really help that heap hook, also, there shouldn't be a lot of sloshing if the tank is completley full should there?

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

I'd say it would work pretty well actually...for many reasons which i don't feel like typing... ;D

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

Kieth I understand why you might do it Land Speed wise, but unless you need the weight. I think lots of better things can do the same job. Sort of LOL ;)

Why in a drag car would you not just run a small rad. in the back with a fan on it. Instead of adding 100 lbs to the car, thats going to have to be dumped and refilled every run because it would take forever to cool it, then when the car launches hard it will fly against the back of the tank bounce off and head forwards and hit jerking the tires on a under sized tire car breaking them loose all the way down the track. My finger is tired now I have to let it rest or I would keep going :'(

I still say bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

it's actually not a Bad idea... it's just different...

It's a great idea if your running for a limited distance like Bonneville... ( several of us have set up's just like this.. )

Not good for over 15 minutes with minimal Hp...

K

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

This is not a good idea for more reasons than I can type :

Leave a comment:

• racing with a tank instead of a radiator, cooling issues?

hey guys, i'm thinking about pulling the radiator out of my 83 grand prix and instead putting an 8 or 12 gallon tank in the trunk. has anyone tried this? i'll be running a turbocharged 355 with about 25psi on e85. the reason for wanting to do this is that i race in a true radial class where we are limited to a 275/60/15 true radial tire, no drag radials, and traction is at a premium. i was thinking that by eliminating the radiator from in front of the front wheels and mounting a water tank in the trunk i'd be able to put down more power sooner. so far this class is running 7.20's in the 1/8 and i figure i'll need to step it up for next year. i also thought about putting a couple of heater cores under the car in the return hose to bleed off some of the heat on the way back to the tank. ideas? comments?
Working...
X