More Problems with my '92 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Problems with my '92 Silverado

Well after having to replace the computer, the truck is continuing to give me problems. Now it seems to be eating Spark Control Modules. I put a brand new module on it last Thursday, and just hooked the code scanner ot it and found "Fault in ESC Module" coming up. I know something's up with the EGR valve, it's not working right, could this be causing problems for the ESC module?

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening?! It's driving me nuts!

Re: More Problems with my '92 Silverado

sounds like you might have an ignition ground problem, I own a 91 and the only problem ignition wise that i have is the loose conection at the dist. dont have any mouse remains do you? maybe a nest or makings of a nest?

Comment

No, nothing like that.

What's strange is, when the truck warms up it runs a lot better, but when it's cold it's a real SOB. It's not throwing a check engine light when this stuff is happening, and since this problem really manifests itself when the fuel level is low, I'm starting to think my problems are in the gas tank, outside of a malfunctioning EGR valve.

Comment

If it runs well when warm, but not cold, you
        might want to get it scanned, check the CTS(coolant temp sensor).
        It may be reading incorrectly, causing cold drivabilty issues.

Just a thought.

Comment

Not a bad idea. I've been using a code scanner (that's how I found out about the spark control module and EGR not working right), it's not picking up anything with the coolant sensor, but with as basic as the computer is on that truck, it's a definite possibility. As far as I know it's the original one to the truck, so that means it's got 16-17 years use on it!

The other puzzler is why the fuel level seems to be affecting things. I'm gonna drop the tank down no matter what and look inside to see if the screen is clogged up (it's had a new screen and fuel pump recently) or if one of the baffles has come loose.

Comment

Again, probably not a bad idea.

Comment

Yeah, I'll do it. That's a fairly cheap part anyway, so I don't mind rolling the dice on it.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Anytime, bro.

Comment

Nice to be a moderator on a board that works and has some acitivity, huh?

Comment

Yeah, and have access to it, at work.

Comment

Working...
                    X