rajay turbo sbc stuff I picked up at yard sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rajay turbo sbc stuff I picked up at yard sale

I would run it in a blow through system also since its much easier and most of those valves mentioned are junk. Its much easier.

BOV's can be used, but I don't have one on my camaro. The turbo system has been on the car since the car was purchased brand new in 1980. Neither myself or the original owner ever have had any turbo problems. I just had the turbo rebuilt because it was sitting around for many years when I got the car.

I might need to pick Dynorooms brain one of these days on several topics. The guy really seems to know his stuff.

Comment

Saw

Gald you got rid of the that old kit. Lots of better stuff out there.

IHMO

If you are building a diy kit I would recommend a good BOV and W/G. They are cheap insurance.
      And I have seen a cheap BOV fail, a turbo surge and break.
      I guess some people don't push their stuff hard enough.

Comment

Mine is a mild street system, but has been used for road racing without a problem. Its also a drawtrough system with a vacumn operated bypass so the turbo is bypassed 100% when the engine is under vacumn - like letting off the throttle. The turbo sees no pressure spike from suddenly closing the throttle blades because its a drawthrough. The turbo just suddenly is sitting in a vacumn.

For a blowthrough system, a BOV is a good idea for that reason. Wastegates are needed when the turbos airflow capacity exceeds the capacity of the engine. A well matched turbo setup doesn't need a wastegate as it will be self limiting, but will not make nearly as much power as larger turbos. My car doesn't have either a BOV or wastegate because it doesn't need it with the current turbo. If I upgrade to a 60-1 compressor, I will need a wastegate to keep boost levels at a safe level.

Comment

Turbo are like cams

Everyone ends up with one too big.....

Comment

The rayjay I am using has a turbo map identical to a T04B with a V1 wheel, so I am only good to about 425hp. Works fine for my engine since its mild.

If I upgrade to the 60-1, I will need a whole new shortblock if I want it to stay together.

Comment

I have worked on a couple of those.
              It is a simple stocker bolt-on (mostly)

I don't know of anyone who only wants 400 hp....

Comment

Dynoroom's points are interesting here.

I've seen at least two people who THOUGHT their BOVs were junk, and causing multiple turbo failures, when further inspection showed that boost leaks were the culprit. Leaking charge pipe coupling combined with an electronic wastegate controller, was the problem - the wastegate controller would clamp down the gate to maintain pressure on the gate, which required overspeeding the turbocharger and the turbo would come apart. If I had a nickel for every internet genius that told us our problems were BOV related, we could have bought the replaced turbochargers. The internet is full of "experts." :

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That's ok Geek, I don't run my stuff hard enough....
                  There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

That's always going to be an issue with the internet...

Since we don't come with pre-determined qualifications we have to establish them over time... and folks often start talking before they realize who they are talking to.... or without understanding the context of a conversation...

Not saying anyone here jumped the gun or said the wrong thing... just stating what should be obvious... we're all new and each of us will take some sorting out....

Think of it as standing around at a cruise night in a new town... Everyone has the biggest Pud for a while... and over time we'll sort it all out...

Biggest thing is to be nice while we're doing it...

Keith ... ( and Mike... you really SHOULD run your junk harder.. )

Comment

There are a lot of keyboard racers out there

But, I tell myself every Idiot has at least one good idea.
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Yeah but ya gotta realize Jeff that some of these folks have done well locally and have equal amounts of credibility in thier world as we have in ours...

The real key is to be nice and not discount folks before we have a chance to get to know each other... Hmmm

K

Comment

An expert is merely someone who has f'ed up enough to know the difference. To those who have fought the battles/issues before, Thanks for saving me some headaches.

Comment

experience is one of those things that you don't get untill just after you needed it.

Comment

I appreciate the advice on the subject and I know there is a turbo in my future. I gave the rajay setup to my buddy with a 72? stocker 350 buick wanna be GSX. He helped me clear out a spot for my new to me bridgeport in my shop. He is addicted to buying ands selling cars so I will probably get the kit back anyhow when he tires of the car, which he will. I just hope I am less poor then.

Comment

heheh - he want to sell it? I don't mind screwing around with these old systems. It would be pretty cool on the 57!

Comment

Working...
                                X