DECIDED TO GO WITH A 400. NXT SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DECIDED TO GO WITH A 400. NXT SEASON

Jus want thank u guys for your opinions and helpn me make a decision. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks GO OR BLOW RACING! ;D

Re: DECIDED TO GO WITH A 400. NXT SEASON

look for a two bolt block and install splayed caps with a girdle. the skirt of the block is the weak link. it isn't terrible, just a known spot to prevent a potential issue

Comment

Originally posted by GO OR BLOW RACING
      Jus want thank u guys for your opinions and helpn me make a decision. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks GO OR BLOW RACING! ;D
      Good call. Make sure to torque-plate hone it.

509 casting tends to be the block you want.

And now that I've convinced you to go cheap and reuse your old crank from your 383, don't forget that you can also buy a 3.875 crank for 422ci. The extra 14 cubes is abut 20 hp. HOWEVER, you'll have more clearance work to do, plus a small-basecircle cam, plus the piston compression height may not give you a ring pack that's happy on big nitrous.

Comment

My 383 crank is an eagle cast steele. i want a forged crank. i may buy an eagle rotating assembly. same as i bout 4 the 383 but all forged.

Comment

Another option is the GM forged steel crank PN 12489436 that's a Cola 3.800 stroke used in the 383 crate engines. It makes a 412 at 0.030 over. It's only .050 longer than a stock crank, which means .025 less piston compression height. However, if you get a block that has not been decked, then you can probably just do a cleanup cut on it and have zero deck. More compression with flattops, too.

Comment

DF is right on that 3.800" crank -- you might as well go for an extra 6 cubes if you are buying a new crank anyway.

I am running a 3.800 stroke Scat 4340 in my 410 (it's a .020" over 509 casting with splayed main caps) My block took a .010" cut on the deck to get it square so my pistons wound up .011-.012 out of the hole. No biggie, I just used a .050" thick head gasket.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the build -- keep us in the loop on your progress!

Comment

Please, that is.....

Comment

Originally posted by NJSPEEDER
                look for a two bolt block and install splayed caps with a girdle. the skirt of the block is the weak link. it isn't terrible, just a known spot to prevent a potential issue
                Does that block fill work? I heard you fill it up to the freeze plugs, but I've never done it myself.
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

;D i will keep you guys updated. thanks again for the help.

Comment

If you choose the eagle sroker rod you can get a pretty bigg roller in it with their stroker rods they come with a l-19 bolt in them too. A eagle kit from e-bay is a value hard to beat. Complete 420 balanced ready for your block, pistons, H-Beams, king bearings, and gaskets and all runs about 2000.00
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by std
                      Originally posted by NJSPEEDER
                      Does that block fill work? I heard you fill it up to the freeze plugs, but I've never done it myself.
                      Don't know how to test if it works or not, but it seems to make sense that it stiffens the bottom of the block. It's like concrete (but not) that fills the water jackets around the bottoms of the bores. You can do a "short fill" or go all the way, which means installing the freeze plugs in the side of the block and then filling the jackets all the way up to the bottoms of the freeze plugs in the front of the block. Either way, an oil cooler is needed for anything other than a drag-race-only application, as the oil no longer gets the cooling power of the water at the bottom of the block.

Comment

If you fill it, do it before you bore it, it will help keep the mains from walking as much too. If its N/A you dont need it, but spray it and its the only chance it has to live. It will the need the oil cooler, and it will lower the water temp some, unless if you dont fill it add some water ports
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

imho

I would keep a 3.75 or 3.800 stroke in a stock 400 sbc block.
                          Beyond that you should go to a tall deck Dart.
                          Like the guys have said your ring pack will be less than ideal.
                          A short fill at min is a great too.

Keep in mind the 400 sbc are weaker than the 010 350 blocks.
                          If you are not stuck on the N2O a 355 or 383 and single turbo
                          can put you deep into the 9's and never need to refill the turbo.

The only 010 we had fail was making 1117 hp before we ripped
                          the rear main out. 900 is safe for the early SBC's.

Last if you are making more than 650 look at front and mid plates too.
                          The motor mount can distort the bore.

Good luck with your build whatever direction you take.

Comment

I just bought a std bore 817 2 bolt block for $175. Picking it up this weekend.

Its going to be a nice mid street motor so, no filling or any of that fun stuff. I might hit it with a 150shot though....I think the stock parts and forged pistons should be find with that with main studs and good rod bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerRick
                              I just bought a std bore 817 2 bolt block for $175. Picking it up this weekend.

Its going to be a nice mid street motor so, no filling or any of that fun stuff. I might hit it with a 150shot though....I think the stock parts and forged pistons should be find with that with main studs and good rod bolts.
                              Right a great street motor!

Comment

Working...
                              X