Indyshiftman: Trans advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indyshiftman: Trans advice?

We here at CJTV have a basic project going on with a street/strip small-block in a car that will weigh about 3,000 with driver. The engine will make about 350 on motor and we have no fear of a 175 shot. It will run to about 6,000. We'll probably step it up later and make another 50 on motor and maybe another 500 rpm.

Overdrive would be super nice but having a more affordable trans is better. Launching hard is more important than having a streetable converter. We'll have it on small tires and slapper bars, but we know how to make that work.

Given those parameters, would you go 200, 350, or Glide? And how would you build it basic but good? And would you want to sell us it and ship it?

Re: Indyshiftman: Trans advice?

A power glide or 350. Personally, I would go with a 350 with the good upgrades. And I actually have one already to go with converter. It has a rebuilt TCI StreetFighter converter (part# 241000) which is a 3000-3500 stall. The only thing I don't like about the converter is, it doesn't have the balloon plate.
    The trans has got the Alto red lined clutch plates with a Coan intermediate sprag instead of the roller clutch that always blows up. And If I remember right, I used a TransGo shift kit.
    Anyway, I'll donate it to you if you pay for shipping. I was going to donate it anyway to someone else who was going to use it for Drag Week but I don't think anything became of it. Never hear ed from the guy and I'm tired of it sittin around. So it's yours if you want it. I'd rather donate it to CJTV anyway.

Comment

That sounds like the best answer I've ever heard to a tech question!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't come up with those kind of answers for everybody. LOL

Comment

Man, that was generous! Thanks! I'd really like to at least cover your costs on it, though. Please PM.

Meanwhile, from a tech point of view, can you explain some of htis stuff. I'm pretty siure I understand the sprag vs. roller clutch, but I'd like to hear it from you.

What do you think are the power limits on a trans like this?

And how is your dad's kidney?

Comment

Yeah, more info on the kidney....

Comment

Just cover the shipping, that's all I ask.
              As far as the transmission goes, It's completely rebuilt. I used the Alto Red Eagle clutches because they withstand more heat. I also used the black Kolene coated steel clutch plates to help get a better shift and less slipping. Less slipping, less heat build up. I also turned the direct (3rd & reverse) piston down, to gain more clearance so I could add a extra clutch in that pack. More holding capacity.
              On the modified direct drum, the inner intermediate roller clutch race has been removed and replaced with a inner sprag race so a 34 element sprag can be used. This sprag is the same used in 4L80E transmissions and high performance 400's. I purchased the drum from Coan engineering with this setup.
              I used a TransGo shiftkit with durability in mind. Usually my customers want hard shifts and I'll use B&M TransPaks. But with the idea of this trans making it through Drag Week behind a big block, I chose to use TransGo for reliability reasons. Not that B&M wouldn't, I just didn't want to take a chance and have my name scattered out on the track somewhere. LOL
              I don't really know how much power this transmission can hold. But I can say I have built similar 350's with trans brakes and they work fine. I'm guessing 450-500hp. Give it all you got and we'll see what it will take.
              And you may remember a Hot Rod article titled 10 seconds under $10,000. My buddy Pete Walsh built a purchased and built a Nova, made it NHRA legal with a 406 small block and my 350 trans. That was a 3 or 4 part series article. This transmission would actually be better that that one used in the article.

Thanks for asking about my dad. Actually, he had colon surgery. So when when you get 45 and older, start having your colon checked. He didn't have cancer, but had too many pollips in a area and that area had to be removed so it wouldn't turn to cancer.

Comment

Glad to hear your Dad's ok.

Comment

Hey Min! I think I just gave away our Drag Week tranny. Hope you don't mind. If any problems arise, let me know, I'll take care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                    Glad to hear your Dad's ok.
                    Thanks Bro

Comment

Sorry to hear about your old man.

I'm in pretty much the same boat with mine......

Glad to hear he's ok!

and we WILL finish a Forum DragWeek Project... one day... >

Comment

I didn't know you worked with Speedy Petey on that deal! Cool. I'll embarrass him here: he's the only guy who ever broke down in tears when I asked him if I could shoot his car for the magazine.

I also remember when he stepped up the Pro Street Nova for FSC racing and then took it on Power Tour. I think I was riding with him when we blew out a Frontrunner, but I might have rolled up on him after the fact. That was a bitchin' car.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                          I didn't know you worked with Speedy Petey on that deal! Cool. I'll embarrass him here: he's the only guy who ever broke down in tears when I asked him if I could shoot his car for the magazine.

I also remember when he stepped up the Pro Street Nova for FSC racing and then took it on Power Tour. I think I was riding with him when we blew out a Frontrunner, but I might have rolled up on him after the fact. That was a bitchin' car.
                          ROFLMAO, I can't wait to say something to him. He said that Power Tour was rough. Not like it is today. Yeah, he had the skinny tires that couldn't take the heat. He still has the blue Nova and has a gold one too.

Comment

Hey, Indy. Glad to hear your Dad is doing OK. Let me tell you it's much easier to live with part of the colon removed than the whole thing (me) gone.

Thanks for the explanation on the trans. It's a learning thing for me.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The TH350 likes to break the roller clutch outer race. I wasn't aware that someone had figured out how to put a sprag in it, that's good (even if it's old) news.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X