need car junkie wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need car junkie wisdom

So here's the deal. I've got a '65 Chevy pickup with liberal amounts of patina. It's got a 230 L-6, a gennie 4spd, and a 4:10ish gear. I also have a 292 L-6, and a 283 out of a '66 strait truck.
    I would like to turn this old turd into my daily driver and want 20 mpg. I don't care about power 'cause I'm only going to chase parts and haul my kids around w/ it.
    I want cheap and love boneyards.
    So I'm not sure where to start.....or stop. ;D
    What about EFI, turbo, ignition control, gear change etc.
    I know a couple of you are smarter than I am so can y'all help me decide what to do with it?
    Mark

Re: need car junkie wisdom

I'd throw the 283 in it and change the gears to something like 3.08s for starters.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! Had a '78 F100 w/ a 300 L-6, 3 on the tree, and 2:73 gears. It got 17 but wasn't as much fun to drive. Plus it just didn't look as cool!
      What is my best option for changing gears? Would a gear set be hard to find or just throw in another rear end?

Comment

you should be able to get a gear set with install kit for under $500, I myself like richmond. I dont know how well that ol inline 6 is gonna like a 3.08, I would say something around a 3.43 or a 3.55

Comment

I got some low 3 gears cheap for my 66 suburban by finding a 70s Chevy van with the really wide 12 bolt, swapped the gears and carrier in, worked great. Got up to 14 on the highway with a stock 402.

We get just under 20 in rural and highway driving in my kid's 70 camaro with the 250, pg, and 2.73 cogs. It's about half as tall and 3/4 as heavy as that truck of yours...you have a challenge trying to get 20 out of it.

Hopefully Brad54 will chime in, he says he's getting very good mileage with his early 60s suburban with a 350, od manual trans, and mid 3s gearing.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

betcha the 283 gets better mileage

Comment

My vote is 283 and overdrive; don't change the 4.10s if you have 30-plus-inch tires.

Comment

if your not gonna beat on it and want OD cheap pull a 5 speed from an s10

Comment

FWIW my 95 half ton, regular cab. shortbed with a tbi 4.3/4L60E/3.42 gets 19 mixed and 22-23 straight highway. I've never weighed it-don't know how they compare to the older trucks. Plenty of power for normal driving but I wouldn't want to pull a trailer with it.

Comment

eh? we used to pull a pop up camper in an 86 C10 with a carbed 4.3, th400 and 2.73's...granted in wasnt a power house but it pulled it good

the 292 would probably have just as much or more torque thant he 283......

283 and a 5 speed with whatever gears you got should be good

Comment

an NV 4500 is a real truck trans

Comment

an SM465 is a real truck trans, I have one in the shed where it belongs
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                        X