How about a cam suggestion, SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a cam suggestion, SBC

Getting ready to put the motor together for my '72 Chevelle after Christmas. I plan on using the car as a driver. I want to be able to jump in, fill it up with cheap gas and drive it anytime, anywhere. I'd be more inclined to do some SCCA parking lot racing rather than drag racing, but I'm sure it will make it down the strip just for fun. I guess I'm looking for a low end torque motor. I'll probably put a small shot of Nitrous on it, around 100hp just because I've never used it before. The car has a 4-speed (as all true muscle cars should ;) ) and currently a peg leg 2.73 rear. The motor parts I have gathered so far:

freshly machined stock short block assembly(350)
    Dart Sportsman II heads, 72cc
    port matched Eldebrock Performer RPM intake
    HEI ingnition system
    Standard long tube headers
    Carter 650 carb

My questions:
    Compression ratio? I had a set of Keith Black pistons gave to me, but they will yield 10.6:1 with these heads which I'm sure is too much for 87 octain. I'm thinking around 9:1? (forged piston of course)
    Cam selection?

Thanks!

Re: How about a cam suggestion, SBC

well a driver cam will really depend on the compression first. Are the KB's big domes or.?

If you plan on the 9.6:1 I'd say pick a cam with a 112 LSA, around 270-278 adv dur, 224-228 dur@050 and as much lift as you can get. also shoot for a 108-110 ICL, even if you don't find the ICL in this range you can always degree the cam to it although with the massive amount of cams on the market you should find plenty...personally for the nostalgic sound and rpm capabilities i like the duntov 30-30's ;D

Comment

Comp cams #12-212-2 its a true 280-480 cam. Grind #cs-280h-10
      Gross valve lift 0.48
      Duration at 0.006 tappet lift EX.280 INT.280
      valve timing at 0.006
      Intake open 34 close 66
      Exhaust open 74 close 26

These specs are for came installed 106 Intake cl

Duration at 0.05 INT. 230 EX. 230
      lobe lift Int. 0.32 EX. 0.32
      lobe separation 110
      recommended valve spring 981-16

You can get this as just the cam or several different kit options including roller style. I have used this cam on several engine builds from 9.1-10.5 CR and it is a great performing camshaft and has a nice choppy idle to it.
      Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

I would go with the comp cams XE268, has 477- 480 lift,1600-5800 power band. That will help a little with your bottom end power considering your high gear ratio. Cam should still have a good lope.

Comment

I agree with the above two posts. Something right about 230* @ .050 should be about right if you want max TQ. 9.6:1 ought work well if you plan to run cheap gas in it.

Comment

Working...
          X