Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Backwards

Howdy,

What accessories can you run backwards without affecting function?

My short list is only the AC compressor (potentially) and the alternator universally and the waterpump and P/S pump if you get the reverse rotation units.

Reason being is that I'm not happy with the place I mounted my Turbo6 in my Riviera's engine bay. I think it sits too high and too far forward but the AC compressor is in the way of moving it anywhere back or down. I'm not giving up AC (hey, its a Buick Riviera... 'nuf said) so I'm thinking about how to reshuffle the components to move the AC compressor up in the general area of the alternator currently or get it on the passengers side of the engine. Not an immediate project but I'd expect to be working on this mentally for a while so if I do strike on something I can execute it during the pre or post Powertour refresh of the stuff after I debug it.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Running Backwards

if you run a alt backwards i am pretty sure you will burn up the diode, the water pump will only pump correc tly in one direction, only curtain a/c compressors can go either way, but even then you would have to swap the high and low pressure lines or it would pump but not work. you can move the stuff as much as you want, as long as the belt still is on the same side of the pulley, ie. smooth - smooth, ribbed- ribbed

Comment

Alternator generates AC and feeds that to the diodes which rectify it and make it into DC. They use slip ring brushes. I'd be really surprised if there was any way it could burn out diodes by running backwards. I do know that you can easily burn out the diodes by connecting power to the output terminal with reversed polarity, but that's a whole nuther subject.

AC compressors use reed valves, which are set up to move the refrigerant from the suction side to the pressure side. The pistons just go up and down in the cylinders as the crankshaft turns, they will go up and down no matter which way it turns. Older compressors like the A6 have a gear oil pump that needs to be turned the correct direction...not sure about the newer style compressors.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

alt will run backwards they get turned around on 4.6 mustangs with superchargers all the time vortec pro charger etc

Comment

i stand corrected about the alt. I guess i more assumed than anything

Comment

I just saw last weekend where a guy took the trouble to install a Honda alternator on his Chevy motor, because he had it facing backward due to packaging considerations...the word was, this particular alternator was made to run the other direction so that's why he used it.

Hope he reads this...

Comment

Yeah, it gets done all the time
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
              X