TH400 question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TH400 question...

I don't believe so. TH350, Powerglide, and TH200-4R are the same length, the TH400 short tail is another length, and the TH700R4 is even longer but still shorter than a TH400 long tail.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The short tailshaft TH350 and TH400 transmissions are very close to the same length, within an inch I think. The yokes are different though...sometimes you have to play with the driveshaft length if it's tight already.

see for yourself..the 400 is a skosh longer

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the yoke isnt an issue, and i think that less than an inch wont be either

Comment

Some 400's use a "O" ring on the output shaft. If you use a 400 yoke that wasn't made for the "O" ring, the yoke will bottom out on the "O" ring land on the output shaft. Making it appear that the drive shaft is too long. If you force it to fit, it will beat the crap out of the inside of the transmission.

Some people will then cut a section off the end of the yoke so the shaft will install. But what happens is, the yoke isn't supported as well in the rear bushing in the extention housing. this can cause vibrations and severe damage. I have seen it happen.

Bottom line is, make sure you know if the output shaft uses a "O" ring or not by removing the extension housing. If it has the O ring land, then find a yoke that was made for the O ring. The yoke will not have splines on the very end so it will slide over the O ring.

How I measure for drive shaft length is, slide the yoke all the way in the trans till it bottoms out. Then pull it back out about a inch. Then measure from the center of the u-joint cap location on the yoke, to the center of the u-joint cap location on the pinion flange. That will tell you what your drive shaft length needs to be. If you have someone shorten the shaft, be sure you tell them how you got the measurement.

Comment

How would you suggest measuring a new driveshaft length for an application where you have a 2 piece drive shaft on a carrier bearing enclosed in an X-frame tunnel? I had to move my TH400 about 3.5in forward with the new engine, so I need a new forward driveshaft. I was thinking that if I measure the distance between the stock yoke and the end of the output shaft I could calculate how much longer of a shaft I needed.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Still you'd be better off doing it just like IndyShiftman says...at least as a double-check.

Also on the TH400 o ring deal...yokes that are designed to work with the O ring usually have a hole in the plug in the end. The O ring seals the transmission fluid from entering the splines, so you have to grease the splines, and the hole vents the air that is trapped in the yoke. It's pretty common to not have the O ring in place and get a nice big leak out that hole.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

is the o-ring issue, related to year range? the trans i have is a original 69 out of my old chevelle, found out we changed the output shaft and houseing to fit the truck its currently in. I now have the chore of looking through every box bin and dusty area to see if i can locate the origonal.

Comment

Transmission Overall Length Rear Trans Mount Position
                  TH-350 27" 19.5"
                  TH-400 28" 26.25"
                  TH-200-4R 27" 26"
                  TH-700-R4 30" 21.25"

Comment

ok I just tonight ripped out the big block and trans now this looks like a short shaft 400 to me but it tlooks like it has the wrong yoke. its a bolt style truck yoke that has a bolt going into the output shaft.

Comment

Take the bolt out....

Comment

lol ok, that was a givin, I just didnt feel like it tonight

Comment

It is a short tail. You can still use a regular slip yoke with that output shaft.

Comment

thats what i was wondering, thank you

Comment

Like I siad take the bolt out........ lol

Comment

well i didnt know that you could just take the bolt out and put a slip on in place of it. thinkin, you know common sence that if a bolt is there a bolt goes there.

Comment

Working...
                                X