Calling all Buick/nailhead experts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Buick/nailhead experts...

I have a line on a 66 Wildcat, rough shape but recoverable interior- and body-wise (I've stopped to see it where it sits in front of a farm near here) . I've called the vendor and he says it has the orig motor, apparently a running 401 cid. He won't take less than $3500 but it's not selling, been sitting for most of the summer right up to now (Oct).

I'm of a mixed mind in terms of a vision for this thing: (1) mount the body on a late-model Roadmaster or Caprice chassis; (2) do it as a rat rod cum pro street project, or (3) a restomod with air ride. It will be for summer cruising on the street and road trips, not for racing. Maybe with LS crate motor power.

My questions: (1) are nailheads worth the time and effort to make them worth keeping? and (2) anyone ever tried doing a late-model frame swap with a mid-60s Wildcat?
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Re: Calling all Buick/nailhead experts...

If you dig nailheads, then they're worth the effort. If you're seriously considering dropping LS motor in it, then you'd probably be better off selling the nailhead to someone who appreciates it for what it is. They look great in older hot rods...
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You'll join DF in the "I hate you club" for pulling the nailhead and putting anything but a Buick motor in its place.

Now on to the Nailhead stuff. What do you want to do with it? If you aren't going hardcore racing with it, a set of modern pistons, cam, and some headers will do wonders to the car. The chassis in '66 is the later perimeter frame like the B-body not the X-frame like my Riviera. Its still a funky rear steer platform with a center sump oil pan between the crossmember and the center link I do believe. For the late model stuff, check the wheel bases and see if they match up then start worrying about putting the body on the later frame. It would be best to just stick with the stock frame and suspension setup if you are just cruising it and rebuild the 401 with some of the new parts that are coming out for the Nailhead. That 401 will make more torque than an LS motor of any size out of a crate stock and with modern pistons and cam it will do even better. Bendtsen's makes a good adapter for a C-case transmission and with the 2 piece driveshaft and removable crossmember putting a TH700R4 or a TH200-4R behind it for freeway cruising wouldn't be too hard either.
      For speed parts there is now a reproduction B262 2x4 intake that works a tad bit better than the old Edelbrock unit, TA Performance and Tom Tellesco both make roller rockers for it, Ross I think stocks forged pistons, and a variety of vendors make good cams for it. Headers are mostly TA though there are now Sanderson blockhuggers available. Gessler Head Porting does porting as does Carmen Faso up in NY who is pretty much the end all when it comes to Nailhead stuff. If you want more Wildcat information I can get you hooked up with Mr Wildcat Ted Nagel who has like 5 'Cat's plus about 4 other Nailhead powered Buicks or "Topcat" Wild Bill who has a bit more Wildcat experience but is running a '67 with a 455 at the moment I think.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Not much to add to CTX. The roller rockers are supposed to be The Deal, with amazing results reported, at least for the Telesco units - haven't seen much on the TAs.

Remember, these are torque engines. I heard of a guy who built a 425 in a Skylark w/9" rear. Decided that a 4:56 gear would be the hot deal, and it was - for about 600 feet.

Nailheads are just neat old engines, but like Jim said, you have to be into them. Otherwise, they're just damn old motors. The first time you pull a valve cover you're gonna say "WTF??!!!

Dan

Comment

Big difference between TA's and Tom's are the shaft bearings. TA's use needle bearings like the T&D's (who actually probably makes them) and Tom's just ride on a bushing. There has been lots of discussion about needle bearings in non full circular motion applications but I'd honestly probably get them because I haven't heard of a failure on a set of rockers. TA keeps joking around about putting out a roller cam kit and maybe a single 4bbl intake but right now Eelco has a sorta spotty reputation but is the only one making new stuff for the Nailhead in terms of intakes aside from some weird and multi carb Offy units.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Thanks to all for your ideas and input. I've got an appointment this weekend to go out with coveralls, jack and stands and 2 large cash. I'm intrigued by the thought of getting familiar with nailhead technolgy and relieved to hear that aftermarket parts are available. Starting to think that swapping frames would be more of a crime than a smart move -- and probably a lot more coin as well. Snow flies here in another month so I'm hoping the seller is getting anxious to do a deal.

CTX-SLPR: I'd appreciate Mr Wildcat Ted Nagel's coordinates if you're able to pass them along -- sounds like he might be a source of inspiration and good advice.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'll get with Mr Wildcat on the V8Buick board. If you get serious with this I'd suggest you head on over. His name there is SpecialWagon65 due to his first Buick racing machine (which I would love to buy from him for a daily driver, even let him keep the 455). I'll pass the contact info when he says its cool for me to. When you buy you can joint the WOT (Wildcat Owners Team).
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
                I'm intrigued by the thought of getting familiar with nailhead technolgy and relieved to hear that aftermarket parts are available.
                That's good to hear! keep your sense of humor though, fixing up 40+ year old stuff takes patience.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nailheads are pretty durable but they have lots of quirks so brush up before you start delving into one. Things like the #1 being on the passengers side but numbered GM style not Ford style and like Jim said.... the rocker arms will make you flip the first time you look at them. I have EFI plans for my "spare" nailhead.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Update on my effort this weekend. While the motor runs and it moves the underside of the thing looks like swiss cheese thanks to the rusties. Also a lot of long grass in the frame and chassis, although the story is it's been barn stored for several years. More like "behind the barn" I think....anyway, at the end of the day this guy thinks he's got the original collector's Buick Wildcat and won't part with it for anything less than what he's asking ($3500). Possibly a good $1000 car, but not a dime more.

So I'll wait 'til spring and hopefully, in the meantime, no one will want it enough to cough up $3500.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X