Carburetor Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carburetor Poll

Depends on the car....mostly they each have their place.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Each have their merits, but I chose the Rochester (Q-jet) because they're the most adaptable. As always, it's all about choosing the correct one for the application.

The Webers are the best design but the DCOEs/IDAs are all too small to feed decent sized engines.

Comment

Quikfuel and Holley. I have both. I also have an unused Qjet that I removed from the Caprice and and now a 750 Edelbrock.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Holley
          Demon
          Edelbrock
          Quick Fuel
          Proform
          Inglese (Weber)
          Rochester
          Other

Well I have work on them all and several not on the list.
          The biggest issue with carbs, is do you have the ablity to work on and understand the carb in front of you!
          All to often I see people bash a carb but they could work if someone helped. Most time it is lack of understanding
          that prevents folks for "liking brand X carb".
          I voted for the Holley because as of late My own motors and customers cars are all getting Holley or QuickFuel. The QF is a nice piece too.

I just wish I had had a good W/B O2 meter 20 years ago.......

Comment

Demon.

Had very good luck with them, Holleys are good, Q-jet's the best street
            carb around.
            I'm not a fan of Edelbrocks, or AFB's, Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
              Pick your fave.
              I voted for Holley, but others have thier place. I've run Edelbrocks and Q-jets. For an all good general purpose carb that can be easily tuned from one application to another, a good old Holley is hard to beat. Q-jets can be great street/strip cabs as well.

Comment

afb style was good in 60
                when ralph johnson designed the double pumper at smokeys in the late 60s
                it was all over for everybody else
                didn't buy a demon , but I have used BG pumps over the years

Comment

Edelbrock every time. I've tuned holleys before and got the car running great....for about three days before I need to fiddle with it again. I've taken the nastiest Edelbrock I've ever seen from the junkyard, tore it apart to clean out the old gas an varnish, put it back together and bolted it on the car. After setting the idle and playing with the air/fuel mixture, the car ran like new money. They're just dead nuts simple.

Comment

Nothing bad really to say about Holley but the 2 Edelbrocks I've had, ran great. Presently my 66 Mustang has a 600 CFM Edelbrock and would be hard pressed to run anything else...except for an Autolite 4100, another under rated carb.

It would be interesting to see a back to back test on a Holley and Edelbrock to see exactly how they compare. A good Edelbrock tuning/modification article is long over due.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

This is impossible for me to answer to a single brand.

I like Holley's - for race cars and something that needs a lot of tuning - something with a big cam, you want to launch hard, corner hard (slosh tubes, jet extensions) etc...

For a car you want to drive everyday and never have to mess with - I would go with edelbrock - or oem (motorcraft, autolite, rochester, etc) every time.

The other holley I really like is the avenger series (I think) the ones that have no gaskets under the fuel level - more like a "bathtub" style. Those are great for a daily driver too.

I think most holley problems are a product of messed up parts - swap meet conglomerations of parts that were never meant to go together - but can bolt to eachother, etc, etc.

I've had good luck with demon - so far - but only those with idle eeze baseplate.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I presently have a Pro Systems / holly 1150 dominator. I have tried Quickfuel's nice carb, carters good street strip carb, have a Blake 830 HP on my brothers firebird. I've worked on more Q jets than anything since I work on boats for a living . A carb is a carb just depends on what your trying to accomplish.

Comment

I picked Holley cause you gotta go with what you know. Not that know all that much, but I know people that know.
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I've got one of the really nice Quick Fuels (billet baseplate and metering blocks) on my car now, and it's very nice... but I had to vote for Holley, since that was the design that Quick Fuel, Demon, and others have originated from.

The Chevelle had an old AFB on it when I bought it, and it drove great... then the throttle shafts wore out and started leaking lots of fuel ... so I bought my first Holley. It was a 650 double pumper.

Always, I repeat, Always use a good fuel filter in front of a Holley. One little piece of trash in the needle and seat will cause it to flood; possibly causing an engine fire.

Comment

I have Holleys. 4777 on the 327 in the Malibu, and a 4778 on the 350 in the Monte. Both came with no aftermarket mods, but I did a few of my own. Still a touch rich at idle, but perfect going down the road. The Malibu has got as good as 21 mpg, the Monte 22.

I had a Demon for a while, but didn't like it. It seemed disagreeable.
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I have two 4777s on the 55, I get half as good of mileage....go figure....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X