3-piece thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-piece thermostat?

Just pulled this junk out of our 99 Durango. The wife was complaining about the car not getting to the same temperature as before making me think the thermostat might have failed open. When I took off the thermostat housing, all I found was the part on the left. I fished the 2 parts in the middle out and realized there was still a big part missing. I crammed the garden hose wrapped in a bunch of rubber into the bottom water pump hose and started making a geyser (and mess) out the thermostat housing until the part on the right popped out. I've changed a lot of thermostats in my life, but this is the 1st that came out like this.

I guess I should be impressed she figured out something was wrong.
    Tampa, FL

Re: 3-piece thermostat?

Maybe she noticed the heater wasn't working like it used to?

That' a nice failure there.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

cant say if i have ever seen that befor,

but i second the mention of her actually noticing the problem, i have to drive whatever my wife is driving at least once a week to se if any thing is wrong, you know do all the fluid and tires and such

Comment

You must be using Dexcool to do that kind of damage.

Comment

Not really, it's probably just a crappy factory part that was only designed to last 10 years.

Actually 10 years is not bad for a thermostat.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This is the car that gets neglected. We bought it new. It had the stat and whatever coolant Dodge put in there. I put in the regular green stuff this time.

We're in FL, so the heat not working wouldn't have tipped us off.

The wife has a pretty good car sense. When I put in the cold air kit and a jet chip, she immediately told me to stop hotrodding her car before I had a chance to screw with the exhaust.
            Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by MadmanMark

The wife has a pretty good car sense. When I put in the cold air kit and a jet chip, she immediately told me to stop hotrodding her car before I had a chance to screw with the exhaust.
              lol nice

mixing green ( not global) with the dodge stuff could have cause the deteriation of the part. then again 10 years is a long time. lol I dont think i have ever had one last that long, but i am in michiagn, where they get used to hot to cold every day lol.

Comment

No coolant has been added to that thing since it was purchased and this fiasco pretty much flushed the system with water before the switch to green, so hopefully it'll be OK. I'll try not to wait 10 more years before the next flush and stat swap.

If it's still alive 10 years from now, I'll try to sneak a nitrous system in there. If I hide the button and bottle good, maybe she'll never notice.
                Tampa, FL

Comment

lol, maybe in that rear compartment in the cargo floor, just bolt it shut so she cant open it.

Comment

Working...
                  X