Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch stuff, questions. Ford top loader.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch stuff, questions. Ford top loader.

I'll try to keep this a bit short.
    I'll start this off with I've been meaning to put a clutch kit in my '72 Gran Torino Sport for a while, I've had a stock type HD replacement clutch kit.
    I noticed after pulling the engine out last night, the clutch disc I tossed in the car when I first got it drivable, is lighter, and has six smaller diameter springs.
    The new kit has 5 larger diameter springs, and the thing is a lot heavier of a piece. The pressure plate assembly also looks a bit stoughter. Then again, I did specify I wanted a stronger clutch when I got it 4+ years ago. {yes, I'm a slacker, it's been sitting in storage all this time.}

This is probably a stupid question of mine, I just was sort of expecting the same thing and felt compelled to ask.

Also, I picked up a roller pilot bearing, but I also have the bronze piece that came with the kit.
    Does it honestly make a lot of differance on the pilot bushing to have a roller vs non roller?

Lastly, I noticed the my trans is leaking gear oil out of the shifter rod locations. It's nothing bad, but considering I spent a lot of time cleaning and repainting the trans, it's irritating the hell out of me over some simple leaks.
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Clutch stuff, questions. Ford top loader.

I've had several clutches in and out of toploader cars, and I was in such a hurry to swap them, I never took the time to compare the weight of them - what a dummy I am.

It makes sense that a clutch system designed to take more load would be of a thicker gauge steel and be heavier. This will effect the acceleration of the reciprocating assembly, but I don't think you'd notice it - it's not like swapping an aluminum flywheel for a steel one - which you really notice!

As far as the needle bearing pilot - I think it's a good piece - they last a long time in the 5.0 era 302 mustangs, I've never put one in an older vehicle - it makes sense that they'd work just fine and likely free up some parasitic loss through the drivetrain too. They are more sensitive to mis alignment than the old solid bushings.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the only time the pilot bearing is turning is when the clutch pedal is pushed in....and parasitic losses aren't very important then. I've seen a roller pilot bearing chew up an input shaft when it went bad. Probably not very likely to happen though.

Interesting about the differences in the clutch plates.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks guys.
        I went on a top loader site www.davidkeetoploaders.com and found everything I needed parts wise, but found out I need to take my trans apart and replace the shifter arm seals from the inside of the housing which requires a fair amount of work. Not sure if I want to mess with it now but I'll probably get over the fear, buy a service book and fix it myself.
        Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Tranny leaks suck. My Impala's four speed leaks out the speedo cable seal. It runs down the cable and drips on the driveway. I know it's time to refill the tranny when it stops leaking.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

pm me if you want scans of the service manual pages for the old top loaders. Although getting your own service manual would be a good idea anyways....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I would think the lighter disk would make for slightly easier shifting and less load on the synchros then trying to slow down/up the extra mass.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                Tranny leaks suck. My Impala's four speed leaks out the speedo cable seal. It runs down the cable and drips on the driveway. I know it's time to refill the tranny when it stops leaking.
                You are quite the scientist. Such an exact measurement of the fluid level is amazing.
                Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Thanks Jim-
                  I found in my 1972 service books the exploded diagrams.
                  Don't laugh too much, but I found when I first got my GTS running, I took the trans apart for cleaning the case and paint, and installed the 1-2 shifter backwards. Had first where second was, and second was where first shifted. That one took me a bit to figure out until I got back into my books. Talk about a WTF was I thinking moment, and I even took pictures before breakdown for paint.

Being I have a big gun boat of a car, I figure any extra mass would be better than a lighter piece.
                  I know I should bite the bullet and replace the fly wheel, but it's still good aside from the starter ring issue.

Thanks guys.
                  Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X