4 spd or 5 spd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 spd or 5 spd?

Originally I planned on putting a toploader in my 66 Mustang and went about collecting all the parts. Then I thought about putting in a T5 and picked one of them up as well. While the T5 would be nice (wide ratio as is the toploader), I have given thought to go with the toploader recently keeping with the time period of the car. The car will have a mild 302 with either 3.00 or 3.25's. It'll be on the slightly rat style with an eye toward suspension mods for improved handling to make a fun street car. Just curious what you guys would do?
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: 4 spd or 5 spd?

My buddy runs a top loader in his 65 Stang with 3.0 gears. No need for an overdrive with that ratio. T-5's can't take any kind of power.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      My buddy runs a top loader in his 65 Stang with 3.0 gears. No need for an overdrive with that ratio. T-5's can't take any kind of power.
      +1

Don't put a T5 in it unless you have a spare one.

Comment

lol, oddly enough I have a borg warner t-5 in my 85 mustang, semi stock. and i beat the ever loving hell out it. literally I am not nice at all. I still have all of my gears and i have been doing it for going on 3 years now. I have 2.73 gears with that motor depending on what you are planning on doing every day with it. I kinda like how my car drives at 80 mph at 1900 rpm. nice and smooth down the highway, but its there when i need it. but you are gonna have to install an adjustable clutch quadrant and cable set upand get rid of the linkage clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle

It's always about application. A World Class T5 will live if you don't bangshift it , or don't have a lot of traction, or don't have a lot of engine. A mild 302 isn't going to cause it to immediately implode. Drag racing with slicks and nitrous and speed shifting it (no lift) is a good way to find out what it's limits are, and they are admittedly limited for that application.

From all I've heard or done, banging second gear or second to third in a corner is a good way to see where you came from. I know for sure that it is in a Fox... A decent shifter goes a long way towards keeping 3rd gear in it, which is what always seems to get f*d. Pro 5.0 makes a nice one, I liked the Hurst I had. I didn't care for the stock one.

The T5 bell housings are cable operated, so installation is not a bolt in deal without buying or building some parts.

Late model 302 block doesn't have the machining for the z-bar clutch setup in a '66.

Mustangsteve.com has some interesting solutions for the cable. http://www.mustangsteve.com/cable.html . Assuming I ever get around to my Falcon, that is the direction I will go. If you scatter the T5, there's always a tremec.

I know about the strengths and weaknesses of the T5. I wasn't planning on drag racing with slicks, not going the cable route. Too many issues IMO between the cable and headers. I was going to use an adapter plate or convert a cable bell to a fulcrum. Sticking with an older 28 OZ motor.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Toploader it.

Comment

I suppose if i was going to det out to buy a 5spd i would use a tko, or some offshoot of that idea, as expensive as they are.

Comment

Thanks guys! I was curious to see what everyone's opinions were. I'm leaning toward the Toploader. Something about having a good old 4 speed!
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Toploader... Let in 'feel' like an old car!!

Ax

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Rod

Ax
                    Something to be said for that. There's an aesthetic perfection to a genuine Hurst Competition Plus shifter on an old school four speed transmission that you can never get with an internal rail transmission. Plus, you can beat the crap out of the Toploader and never think twice about breaking it. Overdrive is nice, but most modern OD transmissions have really widely spaced ratios that kind of diminish the experience-for me anyway. If the car is just supposed to be fun to drive, make it old school.

Comment

Ya, there is nothing like the feel of an old 4 gear. With a proper shifter, you get nice positive movement sound as you run through the gears. Plus there is something about the sound of the old transmissions. The slight wining when you are cruising at low speed. Ya.... nothin' like and old 4 speed.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                        Originally posted by Dirt Rod

Ax
                        Something to be said for that. There's an aesthetic perfection to a genuine Hurst Competition Plus shifter on an old school four speed transmission that you can never get with an internal rail transmission. Plus, you can beat the crap out of the Toploader and never think twice about breaking it. Overdrive is nice, but most modern OD transmissions have really widely spaced ratios that kind of diminish the experience-for me anyway. If the car is just supposed to be fun to drive, make it old school.
                        You hit the nail on the head! Yeah, I like the "whine" the old transmissions made. While I'm not a rough driver, I like the idea as well of an indistructable trans. And yes, I just happen to have both shifters. I bought the Hurst brand new many years ago, still in the box. Right after that I found a nice 66 Mustang shifter with the cool reverse lock out in great shape for $75.

I think what's lacking on a lot of new cars is that they're too refined.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I agree with the "too refined" comment. Where is the character? But, I guess that is why we are here instead of beating down the local Ford dealership's door for the latest and greatest.
                          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I've driven the new mustang prototypes a little - the shifters are nice - they are nearly as tight as the pro 5.0 shifter I put in the T5 in my '90 - they've come a long way.

I agree - for a vintage car, nothing says GENUINE like a chrome Hurst handle with a white ball on top.

but if you plan on driving it a lot - it's tough to beat overdrive... I supose 3.00 gears with a 4 speed aint bad, as long as 1st is a good ratio. I beat a lot of cars with my toploader / 3.25 9" combination on radial TAs back in the day.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                              I've driven the new mustang prototypes a little - the shifters are nice - they are nearly as tight as the pro 5.0 shifter I put in the T5 in my '90 - they've come a long way.

I agree - for a vintage car, nothing says GENUINE like a chrome Hurst handle with a white ball on top.

but if you plan on driving it a lot - it's tough to beat overdrive... I supose 3.00 gears with a 4 speed aint bad, as long as 1st is a good ratio. I beat a lot of cars with my toploader / 3.25 9" combination on radial TAs back in the day.
                              I was thinking of 3.25's with the wide ration Toploader as pretty ideal. With the wide ratio T5, you got to be careful not to go too low or 1st become useless.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X