Sim Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim Software?

What are some favorite simulation programs? Will they handle engine sizes outside what is normal for a brand? For example, SBC sizes are typically 265 to 422 inches. But if you go smaller than 220 inches are the sim results realistic? Some programs are very short on physics and just stuff dyno results into look-up tables. Once you get outside of "normal" combinations the simulations are less than realistic.

Re: Sim Software?

I am wondering if a poll would be useful? If you guys list a few programs maybe we could do a poll to see the most popular?

Comment

Engine Analyzer Pro is a VERY VERY cool program.

I think Desktop Dyno 2003 does not do well outside the "normal" cubic inch ranges.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

EA Pro is very realistic I have found if you put in good data.

I have found the head flow efficency numbers to be way off in the heads that come with the program. Recalculate the numbers using known head flow numbers and you get good results.

Example - 462 casting heads have something like a 45/40% I/E flow efficency like almost every other SBC head in the program. But recalculating using flow numbers taken from any number of sources bumps it up considerably. Also all factory SBC heads are listed with the same 165cc intake port size which is untrue. Most are considerably smaller.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys and good information.

I don't mind editing or modifying the input if the fundamental physics of the program can crunch the new data to create a realistic result. The problem is that some programs appear to be sophisticated but are not. They take empirical dyno data and simply interpolate between data points. If a combination falls outside of the data base then the program is useless.

Comment

I personally think my online dyno, for what it is, is very accurate, even more-so than dyno 2000. of course i'm probably opinionated. and it does have it's flaws. : I've yet to try EA pro but it always gets a good review or at least is used to compare other programs too. If it's made by the EA as Electronic Arts I'd love to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
              (snip . . .) If it's made by the EA as Electronic Arts I'd love to try it.
              Sorry Joe, I'm not sure I'm following your last statement. Are you indicating Electronic Arts is a company different from the producers of EA Pro ??? or?

Comment

not the same company, I'd still love to try it though.

Comment

I personally think my online dyno, for what it is, is very accurate, even more-so than dyno 2000.
                  Joe: what is online dyno? Is this something you wrote or a commercial product?

Comment

I've been using dyno 2000 but have no idea how good it is outside the norm. How bout some data and we can see what kind of spread we can get.

Comment

Great idea, John. I don’t have any data because it hasn’t been built yet. That is why I have been looking onto sim programs. However, if you would like to, how about cranking in some numbers? A SBC, 3.490 bore and 2.375 stroke, manual FI or EFI, running gasoline. Also, since E-85 still isn’t universal; how about a run on 100% methanol.

If somebody else has a different program could you do the same thing? We could then compare the results and see which program is bordering reality. If there is interest, and different programs, I could put the data into a table for comparison and post the results here. I’m not sure how to organize the data yet because I haven’t seen what will be output by the different programs. I also don’t want to forecast what might be reasonable performance so as not to skew your results because you might “what-if” the thing to coerce a certain number.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltfever
                        I personally think my online dyno, for what it is, is very accurate, even more-so than dyno 2000.
                        Joe: what is online dyno? Is this something you wrote or a commercial product?
                        Yea, it's a simple dyno I wrote. it doesn't do alky nor does it account for a million things that it should, including windage but the biggest loss it has is the lack of any exhaust info. It simply calculates the maximum HP available per head flow vs compression ratio vs dynamic compression. It spits out a theoretical maximum.
                        I have considered rewriting it so CSA and runner length is included but it's a "EZ" online dyno, if you need to get precise a better program like EA Pro is probably going to do much better, although I had a guy from sweden? who claims to build road racing motorcycles say it out performed EA Pro? The 1/4 mile times it claims have been very accurate from my 13.20 nova to my buds 9.11/150 mph LUV.

Comment

Yea, it's a simple dyno I wrote. . . the biggest loss it has is the lack of any exhaust info. It simply calculates the maximum HP available per head flow vs compression ratio vs dynamic compression. I have considered rewriting it so CSA and runner length is included but . . .
                          That sounds like an interesting program. Since the piston guarantees 100% volumetric exhaust every time; your missing exhaust data can't be as critical as fluid dynamics on the intake side. Does the residual exhaust, left over during overlap, have as significant influence as other more important areas? It seems like you have concentrated your efforts in the important areas.;) What is CSA?

Comment

Tried to input your bore/stroke into desktop dyno 2000, and it didn't like it. The smallest stroke it accepted was 2.4

Comment

Originally posted by blu65ramb
                              Tried to input your bore/stroke into desktop dyno 2000, and it didn't like it. The smallest stroke it accepted was 2.4
                              Thanks for trying, John. Maybe if I worked for NASA we could find some software that could do it. ;)

I have become very discouraged with the sim programs. One could just page through old issues of Hot Rod to get most of the formulas and crank them in Excel with about equal results.

Comment

Working...
                              X