X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sim Software?

Originally posted by Saltfever
    What is CSA?

cross sectional area of the port, it can tell you when the port will go sonic.

also consider that most sims will not have the cylinder head port length as part of the calculation. consider the following picture, both ports will flow the same with the intakes, but the heads alone will show entirely different flow numbers, destroying any accurate comparisons a simulation may produce.

Comment

Re: Sim Software?

Joe many thanks for replying and the great graphic. (I'm still having trouble uploading attachments but I know there a passel of stuff I can search on for help).

You zeroed right into what I needed. The Suzuki link worked great and that is a high-quality paper by Harold Bettes. His treatment of port velocity is what I was after. In calculating Mach I think he simplifies the air density calcs but it may not have to be that precise because, according to him, you want to shoot for 50% of Mach. But that raises a question. In all of my reading over the years; I have been led to believe that port velocities should range from 190 ft/sec to about 220 ft/sec. Various reasons have been given for this, but most of the time it was to support droplet suspension as well as flow. I think some of the German AutoUnion and early Mercedes racing machines reported the lower numbers.

Your link to the online dyno blew up but I found it through your web site. What a great site! Thanks for posting the online-dyno, the calculators, and the other links. There is a ton of good information there and all your hard work is unquestionably appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X