School me on Eaton M90 superchargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Eaton M90 superchargers

I picked up 3 today at a pick-n-pull and been searching the net for more info. Eatons site claims it can support 5.0 liters but "net experts" say no. Figured Id ask my Carjunkie brethren. Plans are using one on a 4.2 liter I-6 toyota motor in my 75 landcruiser.

The others, well... Would one of these actually run a 5 liter chevy v8 at say 7psi?

Also picked up an Lt1/4l60e, 2 intercoolers and some other stuff. Was a good day...

Thoughts?

Chris

Re: School me on Eaton M90 superchargers

Good for about 280hp on 2.5 liters, I've known a bunch of guys that run them on smaller displacement Mazda v6s (someone makes a kit using the M90 for Probe engines)

The engine you describe, turns pretty slow - geared properly, this should be good for a nice torque boost but bad for big HP. That's probably ok for you though, right?

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yep, not looking for a big power number just want to get more grunt. (power increase will be nice though)

Low range, low gear is 107:1 with a 40" tall tire on the rig. I have a friend in Vegas with a turbo on his 4.2 I6 running on propane, mine will be supercharged with MPI and use LSx coils on each plug all run with a MegaSquirt ecm.

Basically, just because I can and I want to learn. Hopeing to get 7-9 psi of boost at 4500 rpm's with the Eaton without hurting it. Possible? Suggestions?

Chris

Comment

Put all three of 'em on it. ;D

Comment

Are these the same ones as the slant six had on Drag Week? Makes me wonder about about my Jeep's 4.0L.....
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by dhondagod
            Yep, not looking for a big power number just want to get more grunt. (power increase will be nice though)

Low range, low gear is 107:1 with a 40" tall tire on the rig. I have a friend in Vegas with a turbo on his 4.2 I6 running on propane, mine will be supercharged with MPI and use LSx coils on each plug all run with a MegaSquirt ecm.

Basically, just because I can and I want to learn. Hopeing to get 7-9 psi of boost at 4500 rpm's with the Eaton without hurting it. Possible? Suggestions?

Chris
            You may want to go with a different ignition system. The LS1 packs are designed to run in "sequential spark" mode, although at your Toyota's low RPMs, they're probably fine. But what happens is, they end up running hotter beacuse they're running at double their intended duty cycle (they spend more time "On" than "Off").

My recommendation on that would be a wasted spark 6-cylidner setup. Hottest thing from a junkyard is a mitsubishi 3000GT pack and ignitor; If you must go coil-per-plug (somewhat overkill on this application) then I'd look into individual coils meant to run at high duty cycle, like the ones Pantera makes. They have a six-tower pack that works awesome, Chad runs something similar on Rusty.

-scott
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

What did the chargers come off of? Depending what they were on and what year, there are some changes in them, most importantly the rotor blades. Later units, like from a '94-95 Thunderbird S/C have the blades teflon coated and are capable of higher boost levels.

Comment

The coated rotors are good for around 1 to 1-1/2 psi, not a big deal on a low revver really. These blowers make great torque ... peak is at 2,500 rpm on my V6 T-Bird. Pretty reliable unit, I think it is pretty well suited for your intended usage.

cheers
                Ed N.
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

2 of the chargers came off '90 birds, the third came off a '92. All seem to be in good condition.

Scott, thanks for the heads up on the LS coils. (Waste spark coil packs just dont look as nice though) The picture in my head is of a fabricated sheet metal valve cover (not many options for the old "F" series toyota motors) with the individual coils mounted over thier respected cylinders. Suggestions of what vehicle to look at for coils with a plug wire?

Intake will be sheet metal with the Eaton hanging off the bottom, injectors on top, throttle body somewhere in the mix and a SS header (all one-off parts obviously).

Isky will custom grind a cam geared toward the supercharged requirements for about 125.00

I have an older version of Preformance Trends Engine Analyzer that I rely on for intake runner length, fuel requirements and header tube size/length needs as well as approximate HP/TQ estimates/trends.

Making cars run right is what I do for a living. Creating something that never was is something that we all love to do but few of us are able. This is one of those projects for me. Putting in a SBC would be more logical/cheaper but why take the easy road? I thinks I can learn something here...

Chris

Comment

Take a look on the valve covers of JeffMcKC's Malibu (hope it's OK with Jeff I use him as an example)

These coils are, in my opinion, the best thing you can find (aftermarket) for the money. They're similar in appearance to LSx coilpacks, but a little bigger and they are designed for super short charge times so you can use them in wasted spark mode.

We use them on the Huber mustang - 4 cylinder, turbocharged, 1000+hp 2.3 Ford - these are the ONLY coils we could find that would both live happily on the street, and spark 40+psi, and do it with a .036" gap. They are inductive ignition, not capacitive discharge, so they're different than an MSD. They are bulletproof, and they are very affordable at around $70 apiece. They would be overkill in your case, but you'd never ever burn one out IMO. Huber bought 8 of them, to have 4 spares, and never in 3 seasons have they had to replace one. Jon probably drives that mustang more than you'll drive your Landcruiser too - no joke there, it's a Drag Week car.

Comment

Nice! You gotta admit, that looks soooo much cooler than a single coil pack...

If I only knew who made them... (insert cheesy grin here)

Chris

Comment

get 'em here:

Note that these are "smart" coils, with a built in ignitor - you won't need to find a power transistor or ignitor to use them with your MS.

-scott

Comment

the eaton superchargers are a nice unit - my senior design project at WMU involved developing a sizing program for the bypass plumbing.

We mounted a M90 (90 cubic inches per revolution) on a '84 vette 350 that was donated to the university by GM.

I don't recall the pulley ratio (this was '94) but the thing ran no more than about 8psi boost, was whisper quiet at idlea and really woke up the engine - in otherwise stock form.

After the project - we pulled the system off and put it into my lab partners trans am with a 400 pontiac, with the larger displacement - it only ran about 6 psi boost - but still went like a scalded ape....

Keep in mind neither of these engines were low compression "blower motors" and neither had a supercharger specific camshaft.

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X