Power steering pump pressure : late model vs 70's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump pressure : late model vs 70's

This related to me looking to update my power steering but retain my factory 3 turn box on my 1972 Gran Torino Sport.
    Has any sort of comparison been done on late model Ford power steering pumps compared to the older generation Ford steering pumps of the early 1970's that were standard on about every V8 vehicle Ford made?
    I ask specifically, as I am looking at wanting to convert to a powersteering pump setup off a late model crown Vic, and use the remove mounted reservoir as on 1999-2002 Crown vic. I felt this would be a safe assumption, being the CV still is using a gear box versus a rack, but then I stated to wonder what sort of pressure the newer generation pumps put out?
    I was also looking over remote pumps, with larger pulleys off windstars {there were a couple 3.8's laying on pallets, and I noticed the pump looked the same as the crown vic, but had a larger diameter pulley}.
    I am looking at wanting to mount to pump low as the original ford unit, maybe a little lower in the Torino frame tucked up by the block on the driver's side.

Thank you for any input.

Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Power steering pump pressure : late model vs 70's

I don't know about if there were any pressure differences, but the larger pulley on the V-6 is probabaly for the mechanical advantage to keep the power steering system from dragging the engine down to badly when turning the wheel at a stop.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

flow is probably more important than pressure. Did you read about the problems Ford had several years ago with cops crashing crown vics when they went to a pump with less flow capacity? scary
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As far as the V6 pulley, I was looking at that more towards higher RPM, less issue of aireating the fluid in the pump.
        More or less thinking of it as an underdrive application.

I was not aware of the powersteering pump issue-but I found after poking around, 88-90 CV PS pump with serpentine for a 5.0, and checking with a few guys, they have used that pump bracket and setup with a fair amount of success.

I just was looking at the CV remote pump as I want to tuck it down low against the block and clean the engine bay up by moving the reservoir under the fender liner, and having a flush mounted cover.

Thanks for the info.

Andy
        Andrew
        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
        X