Air Conditioning compressor: 70's ford vs late model for conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning compressor: 70's ford vs late model for conversion

This post relates to my posting about the power steering question in another thread, and updating my 1972 Gran Torino Sport to a serpentine setup with one belt.
    I am looking at wanting to update to a late model AC compressor, but with that in mind, can the compressors be swapped out directly?

I saw a picture of a home made serp setup on a 351c with a new sanden unit, but I want to mount the compressor down low on the passenger side as on late model crown vics.
    I made a trip to a you pull it this weekend.
    I was looking around at various Ford stuff, looking at different compressor types, and saw a few different units out there. My main concerns are if I take and drop in a late model compressor off a late model crown vic unit, are the pressure differances between the original big by huge cast iron York compressor compared to the late model unit.
    I'm looking at the late model compressor as I want to basically scanvenge late model AC lines, the fittings, probably the condensor, etc.

Would the AC condensor make a huge differance, copper versus late model aluminum?

I know there has been alot said for aluminum radiators, but I have always felt the heat dissapation for copper has been better than for aluminum, as long as the fins are intact and not crushed; my standing has been the copper brass unit will perform better. Please correct me if I am wrong. I took the deal with aluminum units being that way as aluminum is cheaper than copper/brass to manufacture.
    I have an NOS dealer condensor ac install kit with a brand new unit, and i figured worse case, use the CV piece, and sell my condensor kit.

I know the easiest way would be to just swap out all of the Torino HVAC stuff for late model crown vic hvac, but not ready to make the leap without better information. That, and I am not sure how the dash unit for the CV is set up.

Sorry for the long post, just looking for answers to some questions that have been bugging me.

Thanks
    Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Air Conditioning compressor: 70's ford vs late model for conversion

I'm pretty sure the pressures run about the same. I don't think the material matters as much as the differences in volume the system holds. The newer compressor is used to seeing a smaller volumes in both the evaporator and the condensor, but odds are once the system is at pressure the volume differences won't be noticed by the compressor. But it probably means the compressor has to turn more to maintain the same pressure in the larger volumes, but some give is built into the compressor (and a/c system) to compensate for that since they are built to operate from about 800 engine rpm - 4500+engine rpm. Since I have seen conversion kits for cars (like my T-bird) that go from a York compressor to a late model Sandeen(sp?) compressor that only change the hoses, compressor and brackets I say run all the original equipment except the compressor. Might want to put a pressure cut off switch on the system though if your car doesn't already have one.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

theres quite a bit of difference in pressure/temp when you change from R12 to R134a. Make sure you add a pressure switch to cut off the compressor if the high side pressure gets too high, the street rod a/c places sell them.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think you can manage to put all the components in your dash.

The newer compressors like in a mid '90s CV have their pressure switches set at 420lb for shut off and turn back on at 250lb. I'm not sure what pressure the old system is set for. I would guess it has to be similiar, because it still has to compress a gas into a liquid. R134 can be run in the old R12 systems, so the properties of the refrigerants have to be pretty close.

Comment

There's a guy out of indiana that has come up with a good substitute for R12 - darned if I can find his card right now - but he seemed to have things pretty well sorted out - he's got a website.... of course without the card I can't find that either -
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The bracketry from a newer 5.8l, 460 truck or van
            stuff may work, but it should be investigated at the boneyard first.
            March should be able to help, also.

Comment

Thank you for all the info.
              What I am actually looking at doing is pulling all the AC stuff off a late model CV, and running all the hoses, the newer receiver dryer setup, the pressure switch, etc.
              I am pulling my car back apart this winter to redo the firewall, and figure if I have it apart, time to update.

I looked at the march system, and as much as I love the idea of the $1900 system from summit, I prefer using OEM parts some times.
              One of my concerns was the factory HVAC components, but I think once I get some factory service books, I should be good.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Andy
              Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
              X