Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford 6 cyl. same bellhousing bolt pattern as Small V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 6 cyl. same bellhousing bolt pattern as Small V8?

Just wondering if a passenger car 6 cyl. Ford is the same bolt pattern as 6 bolt V8 bellhousing. Wondering if the stuff like the old 3 speeds will bolt up behind a late model 302. Anyone?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Re: Ford 6 cyl. same bellhousing bolt pattern as Small V8?

I have a C4 off an early 60's falcon - possibly a 65 mustang.

bellhousings are different, converter is different, transmission case is the same - albeit with lighter duty "guts"

This is a 250 bellhousing, not sure if this goes for all other engines - as far as manual trans 6cyl, not sure.

I beleive the truck 300 six was the same as small block / cleveland.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good to know. Is that 6 cyl. bellhousing a 5 bolt pattern like on the 260 and early 289 blocks?
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
        I have a C4 off an early 60's falcon - possibly a 65 mustang.

bellhousings are different, converter is different, transmission case is the same - albeit with lighter duty "guts"

This is a 250 bellhousing, not sure if this goes for all other engines - as far as manual trans 6cyl, not sure.

I beleive the truck 300 six was the same as small block / cleveland.
        I think that 300's have the same pattern as 460/429 and 400m (other than 73 passanger car 400m's with the 351c/w and 289 bell housings)

Comment

Does anyone out there have a Hollanders? Then we could nail this for sure.

Dan

Comment

the 240/300 big 6 from full size cars and trucks is the same as the 302. The small 6 144-200 is a smaller bellhousing. The 250 engine used in the later year midsize cars has the larger 302 bellhousing, even though the engine looks a lot like the 200.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I'd always heard that the sixes, small blocks, and big blocks were all different, but I didn't think that made sense - not that the way it really is makes sense either.

Dan

Comment

the 5 bolt 6 bolt thing is really wacky - then the whole 28oz crank imbalance from the begining until 80, then 50oz crank imbalance post '80 on the 302, but not the 351W which was always 28oz, as was the 351C as I recall.

I'll have to look at that 6 bellhousing - it might be a 5 bolt - and it may very well have been a 200, not a 250.

I suppose I should sell that thing - it's just a paper weight to me - as is the converter.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

yeah fords are wacky! For a while the small block C6 was valuable, then they started putting them in lots of trucks behind the 300 six in the 80s and they became very common.

The 5 bolt/6 bolt thing was a mid year 1965 change.

My fabulous web page

Comment

The 250 uses the same 6 bolt pattern as the 65.5 & up V8. The 3.8 V6 also the SBF 6 bolt. Later model 200 I6's with the started mounted by the crank and not up like the 144 & 170 I6's will accept the SBF 6 bolt pattern with some minor mods the the block. There was a guy on the www.vintage-mustang.com a few years ago use to make kits to adapt T5's to sixes. He showed how the adapt the V8 bell housing to the later model 200 I6. As I recall it was just a matter of drilling & tapping a couple of holes on the 200 block.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Ok, cool. Now, do the different bellhousings have the ablility to be bolted to other transmissions?

Some transmissions (like the C4 in some years) have a removable bellhousing that is not part of the trans. case. What else could you bolt to it? Could you bolt a th350 to a 6 bolt Ford small block bellhousing?

Uhh... before you brand loyal guys start reaching for your hangin' ropes.. I am not contemplating this (yet), just curious.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Google <Brentsen's>. These guys are the kings of trans adaption.

Dan

Comment

There are ways to put lots of different transmissions onto lots of different engines, but you get into some pricey custom parts trying to hang a TH350 onto a Ford engine. The automatics mostly use one piece case/bellhousing, exception is the Ford C4 and cruisomatic and other early transmissions, plust some late models like the 99 up 4L60E.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                          X