Hey Keith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Keith...

..is there a chart somewhere that gives frontal area of various cars or are you just that good? ;D

Re: Hey Keith...

Here is one - http://www.mayfco.com/tbls.htm

Comment

ahhh the good Dr Mayf... Dr. Larry Mayfield is a real live Rocket sceintist... worked for Boeing when I met him... right here in Alabama... actually up in Huntsville... but I used to go up there and visit when I had business in the area... This guy has lots of formula's and calculations...

Almost everything I know is based on being there racing... or trying serveral different cars in a wind tunnel... Trust me there are lots of folks that know a ton more...

British sports cars have been a large part of my life... so I'm fairly comfortable with them...

The Spitfire in the chart there isn't too bad... but as is classic with stuff like this... they don't tell you the Area and CD number are based on a Production vehicle set at street ride height and with mirrors and whatever other barb's they come with.... so you can automatically reduce both of those numbers.. but it's a Fair enough base line for a starting point.

Comment

Thanks! The speed to HP charts are pretty cool. I found the frontal area of a 69 Camaro on another site figured at 19.22sf with a 3" drop. I don't know if mirrors were included but it did say 245 section tires were used. Another site showed a cd of .40 but no other info was given.

Comment

first gens suck aerodynamically... but who cares... they're cool

Second gens are the sleeper as far as I'm concerned.

third gens are touted as the aero kings... and I suppose they might be...

fouth Gen Camaro's suck Hind tit... I'd rather have a 68... okay maybe they aren't that bad aero wise..but the tail of that car is HUGE... and what the wind see's the whole picture of the car...

K

Comment

It's not putting the hole in the air that's hard... it's sealing it back up that eats all your horsepower...

Comment

Hey John.. welcome to the fray....

Guys this is the fella that bought my Berkeley...

John what you will notice in all references... I've been cafeful to limit the amount of info shared...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                first gens suck aerodynamically... but who cares... they're cool

Second gens are the sleeper as far as I'm concerned.

third gens are touted as the aero kings... and I suppose they might be...

fouth Gen Camaro's suck Hind tit... I'd rather have a 68... okay maybe they aren't that bad aero wise..but the tail of that car is HUGE... and what the wind see's the whole picture of the car...

K
                I know it's not the best platform but I've owned the car since 99 and a buddy owned it for 20 years before that, so I know a lot about the car. Besides I'm a hard headed asshole and this is the car I want to build. ;D
                I have a line on a 427 that should be affordable, but until that becomes a reality I'm still in the planning/dreaming stage.

Comment

LaVan Prothero was one of my lsr hero's as a youngster. Why, because he ran a '67 camaro at Bonneville & El Mirage just like the one I had. When he ran 220 mph in '79 it was with iron heads on a big block with injectors on gas in the production class! Stock friggen car! You can buy better engines parts right out of the summit catalog today and the "A" production record is only 225 at Bonneville.

But Keith's right about the gen IV cars. It takes over 250 MORE hp to run the same speed we do with a gen III, albeit at a very high speed. ;)
                  There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Mike our junk is only 40 mph slower then yours.... LOL

WOW... think about that... 40mph ain't squat right...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      Mike our junk is only 40 mph slower then yours.... LOL

WOW... think about that... 40mph ain't squat right...

K
                      Let see... what was that formula..... cube the power........ double the speed..... som'thin like that. 8)
                      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

So the cage that's in the car won't pass tech and will be removed. Will a Jegster 12pt 1 5/8" .134 ERW cage pass tech?

Comment

Yeah except maybe the base plates... I think the SCTA Wants thicker and bigger plates... don't have a rule book handy... but I'd check into that...

K

Comment

Cool. I have a JD2 bender but I can drive to Jeg's and pick up the cage cheaper than I can buy tubing to bend another one. I wasn't sure how sticky they were on ERW vs. DOM.

Comment

No issue at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X