Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopar rear suspension

Hi Guys

I'm looking at lowering a doing some suspension upgrades to my 1970 Dodge Coronet. I've been seriously considering a set of caltracs for it, but am wondering how it effects over all ride quality? I want to retain a stock feel without raddling out my teeth. Any advice fromthose who use them?

Mike

Re: Mopar rear suspension

A friend has these under his '70 RoadRunner.
    Before this he had some SouthSide Machine bars clamped to the rearsprings, which sure make for a rough ride. I could never figure out why he choose to do this. Now he has a Caltrac-like system and the ride is way better.

I think you won't feel the Caltracs because they don't work when the suspension does it's normal job 'carrying' the car. They only come in action when the rearaxle wants to twist backwards because of engine-torque.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Caltracs ride just fine on the street especially if you run them backed off a turn or 2 on the preload.

Comment

Ok, thanks guys

Mike

Comment

Don't use caltracs with SS springs on the street however. They will ride like a buckboard wagon! Its mostly the SS springs however.

Comment

When I set up my 1971 Demon with SS springs, the car sat up in the air like a stinkbug. It hooked hard, pulling the front wheels, but I had to do something about the stance. A buddy of mine showed me how to flip the front spring hanger upside down (it required elongating some of the holes into slots) and it helped the rear of the car to set back down below the nosebleed level. I did have to reset the pinion angle after lowering it, but the car still hooked well.

I agree, the SS springs DO ride like a buckboard!

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I changed my 73 cuda from SS springs with Cal-trac's to the Cal-trac springs and bars and the ride improved, it softened the read suspension up. At this point the car hasn't done any better in the 60's but I hopping this year 08 I get to go to the track a litter more.

Comment

Hi Mike!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X