Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some info(what to do after car has sat for a wile)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some info(what to do after car has sat for a wile)

I just picked up a 1967 chevy camaro. The guy i bought it off of did alot to this car. raced it then pretty much got bored with the car. So it sat in his shop for a wile. He put a 4 speed in it and was going to start driving it on the road. last year the car when out for one weekend and a car show. other than that she sat in the shop.

This is the first muscle car i have ever owned. the car is very clean inside and out. But it seem that the turn signals and 4 ways dont work right. As I was driving home my mom said that the brake lights and tail ligts went out. Then came back on. as the car was going down the road she said that it seemed like the lights were getting brighter. Where should I start?

Re: Need some info(what to do after car has sat for a wile)

I'd change allll the fluids first... make sure to put some Rotella or Delo 400 oil (and maybe an oil additive too) --those diesel oils still have the zinc/and or phosphorous lubricant additives that the regular car oils don't anymore. I've seen a ton of older vehicles wipe out a cam because somebody thought regular oil was good enough.

Next I'd pull each fuse and clean the contacts... then put new fuses in. After that, pull the turn signal &/or tail light bulbs, and replace those too. Make sure to clean the contacts on those too. That might solve your lighting issue. Next, install an easy-to-reach battery cutoff, and a fire-extinguisher. A bud lost his classic muscle car due to old wiring, and it would suck for anyone to watch their baby flame up on the side of the road.

Comment

Check the taillamp grounds. If needed, just run a redundant ground wire from the black circuit on the taillamp harness over to the body.
      A lot of times, the ground studs or rings will "rot" and only allow partial or intermittent contact. Its usually easier to find the harness in the trunk, pull out one of the black grounds (they all ground to the same point, usually), and splice an added ground over to a convenient point in a corner of the trunk.

And for what else, you've already driven it. Any funny vibrations, brake pull, steering wheel straight, funny pulling while turning/slowing/driving, brakes locking up, scraping or rubbing noises, rattles?

Like someone said, check/change all the fluids, while underneath, look/take pictures, inspect for leaks, loose stuff, around brake lines, exhaust hangers, brake cables, battery cables, tie-up any "loose" ends.

Then enjoy it.....
      Thats why you bought it.

Fix stuff as it breaks....thats half the fun!!!

Comment

the new diesel oils have also had the zinc / phosphorous pulled out of them - you need to use an additive or the brad penn type specialty oils to be sure. Red STP also has zinc / phosphorous but I'm not sure how much. Cam break in lube additives are full of it - so you can use that or GM EOS at each oil change as insurance.

Otherwise - what the other guys said - it's already drivable - so, pay attention to what the car tells you and investigate accordingly.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Looks like ill be a little busy this weekend. Should I buy some contact cleaner and spray all the connectors? I believe it has bad gas too. so ill be draining that. also clean up all the grounds with sand paper?

Also the battery ends where loose too. We thought the starter was out and we had a few around. so we rebuilt the starter. Come to find out loose battery end. So ill also be replacing them

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
            the new diesel oils have also had the zinc / phosphorous pulled out of them - you need to use an additive or the brad penn type specialty oils to be sure. Red STP also has zinc / phosphorous but I'm not sure how much. Cam break in lube additives are full of it - so you can use that or GM EOS at each oil change as insurance.

Otherwise - what the other guys said - it's already drivable - so, pay attention to what the car tells you and investigate accordingly.
            NO they have not. They have reduced levels.
            Please do not spead bad info.

Comment

All advice you just got is all good.....take your time make list & knock it out one at a time....address the engine first oil change, plugs, air filter, & start checking bolts on the motor for looseness( is that a word?). But the most important in my opinion is to redo you brakes before you drive it a lot.....because if you can't stop it....it wont be around to enjoy & work on later.
              That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Working...
              X