double flare tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double flare tool

What brand of double flare tool do you recommend? I have a dollar store unit that does not make very good flares, and would like to upgrade.

Feel free to post your favorite tips and tricks to making quality flares.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: double flare tool

Snap-On, OTC, Matco, and MAC are all about the same, both in hydraulic,
    and the standard style. Plus, most of the better ones can do
    both, and ISO flare w/ adapters.

Comment

A standard Mac set has worked for me for years.

Tips:

Follow the directions from the guy who sold it.
      After getting everything snug but not tight, wiggle it all around a bit to help center the clamp/screw/etc. before you crank it down.
      Don't keep forgetting to put the f'n nut on the tube first.

Comment

What he said.

Comment

Thinking of running stainless lines. I've never bent or flared stainless tube, anything I need to know?
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I wqould use a hydraulic flare tool, and a good one at that.
            Stainless is hard stuff, the cheaper units just don';t work as well,
            and trying to use the screwclamp style is a pain w/ the hardness
            of the tubing.

Comment

K. Mebbe I'll go visit LS7GTO.

Comment

Does he have one?

Will he help you?

Comment

I haven't worked stainless much. Like aluminum, I don't think you neccesarily need to double-flare it. Steel has a welded seam down the side of it which can split when single-flared and is part of the reason for double-flaring. Seems to me like you get a better sealing "cusion" with a double in any event.

Another case for a hydraulic tool is if you will ever do high-pressure lines, like for tractors and stuff...they are made out of thicker material and a booger to work with when you're hand-cranking.

Hard lines are fun to do once you get into it. Do neat work and it looks good forever...once you've got the plan laid out, crack a beer and tune in the radio, and just take your time. Use a tape measure and a piece of cardboard to lay out the more difficult sections. Welding rod can make good patterns too. If you screw it up, get it fixed as close as you can so that you learn what you're doing, then start over with a fresh piece (don't try too hard to "save" a messed up one).

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                    Does he have one?

Will he help you?
                    Originally posted by ls7gto
                    Gene, if you stop in ill show you my ultra sexy hyd. flaring tool. I probably have enuff braided to go to the frt to back on the Chevelle. Doug
                    Doug is an awesome guy.

Originally posted by kso4
                    I haven't worked stainless much. Like aluminum, I don't think you neccesarily need to double-flare it. Steel has a welded seam down the side of it which can split when single-flared and is part of the reason for double-flaring. Seems to me like you get a better sealing "cusion" with a double in any event.
                    You saying that stainless is ok to single flare?

Comment

I would. Double flare it, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                        I would. Double flare it, that is.

what he said always double flare brake lines

Comment

Guys at work use stainless tubing a lot -- I know a couple of them are tubing artists -- I will ask them what brand of tubing benders they use - I think Snap - on - Dan stokes had a name of a brand he recomended - and I think they made benders and flare kits.

I know the good flare kits will double flare stainless - I've seen the guys at work do it - and they turn out nice and seal perfectly.

We're going to build a dual feed inlet for my demon out of stainless - using swagelock fittings - then run a short piece of rubber - then back to stainless for the regulator / filter.... at least that's what I have in my head I want to do.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Rigid make a nice double flaring tool.

Van Sant make a nice bender

Comment

Every line on my car is stainless. I've had no luck with double flaring the stainless fuel lines. Brake line I seem to have no problem with.
                              But the stainless 3/8 tends to crack. Advise was given to me to single flare and use conical washers on the male end of the fitting your using. I tried single flares with no washer and always leaked. Added the washer and never has leaked. You can get them from Earls. I can post a picture later tonight if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X