double flare tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: double flare tool

Note that with a double flare your sealing surface (on the tube) will be the outside one. With a single flare it will be the inside surface. Tubing which is welded or otherwise has an irregular inside surface, if single flared, is going to have sealing problems. That's the other reason for double flares.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyShiftman
      Every line on my car is stainless. I've had no luck with double flaring the stainless fuel lines. Brake line I seem to have no problem with.
      But the stainless 3/8 tends to crack. Advise was given to me to single flare and use conical washers on the male end of the fitting your using. I tried single flares with no washer and always leaked. Added the washer and never has leaked. You can get them from Earls. I can post a picture later tonight if needed.
      Photos are good.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The piece in the middle is what I used on all my stainless fuel lines. These will stop the leaks with the single flares.

Comment

I've posted this before, but here goes -
          There are compression fittings, then there are COMPRESSION FITTINGS. I would NEVER use hardware store compression fittings on brake lines, but high pressure compressions are fine - they are good for higher pressure than the line they are attached to. The two brands I am familiar with are Parker-Hannifin and Swagelok - there may be others. These suckers are TOUGH and have the advantage of being able to be broken and reconnected with no issues. The fittings themselves can be reused as long as you get new ferrules. A disclaimer - in some states, compression fittings are NOT legal on brake lines - I'm guessing that the difference between the good ones and the hardware store ones is lost on state officials.

Swagelok makes the bender I mentioned to John, and Parker-Hannefin has similar units. We never flared SS lines at EPA, choosing instead the compressions mentioned above, so I don't have much input on that. I'm pretty sure you'll need a power flaring tool, though, as that line is tough stuff.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            I've posted this before, but here goes -
            There are compression fittings, then there are COMPRESSION FITTINGS. I would NEVER use hardware store compression fittings on brake lines, but high pressure compressions are fine - they are good for higher pressure than the line they are attached to. The two brands I am familiar with are Parker-Hannifin and Swagelok - there may be others. These suckers are TOUGH and have the advantage of being able to be broken and reconnected with no issues. The fittings themselves can be reused as long as you get new ferrules. A disclaimer - in some states, compression fittings are NOT legal on brake lines - I'm guessing that the difference between the good ones and the hardware store ones is lost on state officials.

Swagelok makes the bender I mentioned to John, and Parker-Hannefin has similar units. We never flared SS lines at EPA, choosing instead the compressions mentioned above, so I don't have much input on that. I'm pretty sure you'll need a power flaring tool, though, as that line is tough stuff.

Dan

Comment

here in the state of Pa. you can NOT use compression fittings on your brake lines. they will not pass state inspection. All connections must be done with a union and double flares.

with that said I have used and inspected a few street rods with SS brake lines that used AN fittings including the tube sleeves. The SS line is too hard to bend itself over to make a double flare. I feel if it is good enuff fo airplanes its good enuff for me.

Gene, I have both ridgid and snap on flaring tools plus the hyd. tool. and a selection of at least 8 different bending tools. I can teach you how to do your flares properly.just give me a shout. D
              Reading , Pa
              Good Guys rodders rep.
              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Thanks Doug. I'll be pulling things apart in a month or two, once the roads get their first salting. Right now I'm doing research.

The plan is to run a new fuel line and new brake lines, and finally get that darn rear disc brake setup installed that I bought about 8 years ago.

Antique license plates = no state inspection
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

even though I have those UGLY purple plates on the Olds , I dont like that rule. I have checked out more than a few cars after they have been sold to friends and found them VERY unsafe. some cars have been on those plates for over 35 years, with nothing ever being looked at.
                  My Olds is a perfect example of that, all 4 wheel cyl leaking , frt susp that was JUNK. and I wont even mention the exhaust. Maybe time for a mandatory 5 year saftey check on Antiques
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                  X