Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diesel Oils with zinc & phosphorous removed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Oils with zinc & phosphorous removed??

"the new diesel oils have also had the zinc / phosphorous pulled out of them - you need to use an additive or the brad penn type specialty oils to be sure. Red STP also has zinc / phosphorous but I'm not sure how much. Cam break in lube additives are full of it - so you can use that or GM EOS at each oil change as insurance."

:o CRAP!! When did Rotella and Delo remove their anti-wear additives?

So is adding STP or cam break-in enough? And how much?

And how safe is my flat-tappet if I use a good synthetic like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple?

And here's the pandoras box: what about ProLong/Duralube/Slick50, etc??

I've been doing the following for my 350 flat-tappet street motor: 4qts Rotella, 1qt Mobil 1, and a half bottle of STP. Thoughts?

Re: Diesel Oils with zinc & phosphorous removed??

Rotella & Delo only reduced the amount not removed it!

Valvoline VR oils have ZDDP also.

Erson makes a $8.00 ZDDP additive bottle same as EOS but cheaper.
    We car keep these on the shelf for new motor builds.

Don't bother with the Syn whatever.

Comment

also try castrol teceon??not sure on the spelling, green bottle and has a Rig on it stating for diesel engine use, i think this is the only oil left that has decent amounts of zinc still in it.

Comment

As I understand it - if an oil is labelled "racing" or "off road" it can have higher ZDDP levels. Valvoline racing oil is one example, there are others - I think the castrol racing oil - and motorcycle racing oil specifically have higher zddp.

Any oil that displays "energy conserving" with the latest SJ (I think) marking has had the ZDDP removed.

The API (American Petroleum Index Institute I think) gives the two letter designation - I'm sure info on that can be found on the 'net if you really want to search.

This subject has been covered extensively on a multitude of forums - "bob is the oil guy" is one for sure that looks into it.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
        X