Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The POS family truckster strikes again

So as expected, it's junk.

The best part is that the store can't get one until Monday afternoon. There's a big time short happening as the thing got nuclear hot very quick.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Good grief.....TC's bad luck with alternators has befell you as well!

What about the local dealership.....yeah, it's gonna cost more, but having the Momma-Mobile at the ready is peace of mind.......and with the impending launch of the new "racer", that's worth every penny.

Comment

Would have been good to keep the core and rebuild it when can find the parts and the time. Nice to have a cheap spare when you need it.

Comment

I'm stuck in alternator hell.

I gave the store my core when I got the current broken piece I am staring at on my table. The weiners at the store say that they can't get anything until Monday afternoon.

If I go to the local place to grab one, I don't have a core, and the frikkin core charge on this thing is approaching 100 skins. So even if I walk into autozone waving a pistol and get my money back, I'm completely boned at the local store if they even have one.

I think Tom is going on his first trip to the junkyard tomorrow.

It's worth a shot right?
          I have a menu pricing yard by me that I am reasonably sure I could walk with one for 50-60 bucks. If that one proves to be junk, I'd actually make money on the back end because like I said, the core is close to 100 bucks. Hmmm...is this making sense or is this the Dewars talking?

It's gonna be a big day in a 2-year old's life.

Brian

Comment

My neighbors Pacifica had the same problem alt took a dump at like 42,000 miles. She came running over asked if I could jump start it, she got to Costco and dead again (I told her not to trust it) .

Comment

The little solid black arrows are the diodes...looks like there are two complete banks of diodes on these ones (two sets of windings too).

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This thing has been, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst vehicle we have ever owned. If it makes it between oil change intervals between some sort of mechanical problem I make the sign of the cross and thank whichever saint I can remember.

My wife was all jacked up about the seating arraingment and general usability of the thing with out little guy (and soon to be coming little guy #2) but it's a total pile.

Brian

Comment

Brian - I can get you a deal on a new flex!
                  ;-)
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Isn't there a station wagon siting in the driveway? Good seating arrangement. Most of the crap on the paint will buff out and ten to one says the alt doesn't have internals of main land Asia descent.

I feel your pain in only the way a man that's owned a seibring can.

Steve
                    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

3 strikes and I'm out.

1.) The ONLY car this alternator was used on was the Pacifica, it was not used on any other model. Yes!
                      2.) Of the 14 Pacificas Chrysler ever sold, none are in a junk yard local to me.
                      3.) Even ordering one through the junkyard network is going to run me a buck and a half and it will be here, you guessed it, on Monday.

Screw it. It will live in my father in law's garage until Monday.

Beags, my wife is due any minute, literally. She had to see the doctor the other day and he said if she goes two weeks he'll be shocked.

Rightpedal, I'm thinking of forming a late model Chrysler owners support group. You in?
                      Brian

Comment

I hate to put down any domestic auto makers (God know they don't need it right now) but the late model "mopars" seem to have their issues. I keep an eye on a few online auction sites around here, mostly stuff donated to charities. Of the 1998 to 2004 timeline the Chrysler products are by far the most highly donated. The Sebrings are always beat into submission. Lots of LHS and Intrepids. Nice cars, but so much to go wrong and so expensive to fix. Second place would be the Ford Taurus. But this is probably due to the shear numbers of them on the street.
                        I'll take my 2002 Impala over just about anything of that era. Just plain simple and not so expensive to repair.

I wish you luck on that alternator Brian.

Off you go to the "Men's Crisis Center" (Garage)

Comment

I like the cutaway, they don't even replace the bearings! egads

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            This thing has been, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst vehicle we have ever owned. If it makes it between oil change intervals between some sort of mechanical problem I make the sign of the cross and thank whichever saint I can remember.

My wife was all jacked up about the seating arraingment and general usability of the thing with out little guy (and soon to be coming little guy #2) but it's a total pile.

Brian

As my findings have led me as well.
                            Late model Chryslers are very hit and miss. One car may be perfect for 200k.
                            The next one catches fire within warranty, and burns to the ground.
                            The next three have horrible electrical issues, then another good one.

Comment

I tried to find a decent replacement engine for my pastor's 2.7L intrepid - I then learned that the 2.7 V6 is a ticking time bomb. I pulled the oil pan, and started pulling main and rod caps..... two spun rod bearings.... I told him it was best to donate the car at that point....

Brian - this is the perfect time to talk about the virtues of driving older, easier to fix stuff, or, again - I can get you a great deal on a new Ford / Lincoln / Mercury / mazda / volvo..... ;-)
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

John, older stuff is great in my book. My wife is not as big a fan of nostalgia as me. HA!

If we didn't owe a pile of cash on this thing I'd be at a dealer on Monday to off load it. If I could find someone that had recently consumed some mind altering drugs that would throw me an insane trade in it may happen. Logic and reality says that we're stuck with the SS Pacifica for the forseeable future.

In my perfect world I'd dig up an early 1980's 2WD Suburban. Bag it and have her roll in that. See my comments about the mind altering drugs as a measure of this dream's possibility of reality.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X