Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a 295-65-15 drag radial in a 68 Camaro

What do you guys think? Possible?

I currently have 275-60-R15s and need some extra tire height for N2O passes. I am thinking a second set of rims and taller tires for the back would be the ideal solution for me.

I was looking under the car and currently I have 1/2" room with the 275's -- probably less when going around corners. Looks to me like there is at least 1" between the wheel house and frame. Same with the leaf spring. The shock may need to get moved about 1/2" too.

So would one inch be enough and will this work on my 68? I do not want to relocate the springs because that would snowball into the fuel system (gas tank) and the back seat (kids still ride in it)

Any other suggestions?

Re: Fitting a 295-65-15 drag radial in a 68 Camaro

What about shackels or something to keep the springs attached in the same place, but buy yourself a little room?

Comment

I know 55 chevys are not camaros, but I have enough room to run a 11" slick in my car, with minitubs and relocated springs, full back seat. Could you scoot the spring over just a little bit, and move the wheel house over just a little bit? not the full on jobs you usually see, just enough to fit the next size bigger tire in. If your'e really good at it no one could tell, and you might even be able to "cheat"! like smokey used to
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by 72_Ventura
        What about shackels or something to keep the springs attached in the same place, but buy yourself a little room?
        Yeah, its not really a height issue . . . its that with the taller tire comes extra width and that is the problem.

As it is now I hit the inner wheel well first; then I think I would hit the shock, then the frame and spring.

Comment

Eric there is a guy on this board named Andy, I think he is 68rsss. I put a ladder bar and the Detroit speed mini tubs in his car and it fills it up but with the height of the tire it tears off the chrome strip on the bigend of the track when the tire grows, and this is with the 29.9 MT radial. It is fast when the tire is on, it but he likes his chrome  :so he runs a ET Street now
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Eric. My 73' and your Camaro are similar I believe. Il tell you what im doing this winter and spring. Im going to fab a bracket to move my shocks inboard. I already have cal tracs so the shock mounting on the bottom side is no issue. After that im going to get the DSE spring relocation shackles, from what I understand camaro and Nova's dont need to relocate the fronts spring pertches, they sit outward in the rear by design from the factory so this kit just squares them up with the car Now if this is wrong its a deal breaker for me. But if its right it will move my springs inboard about 2" in the rear. Then im going to get a 10" wide rim with a 7.5" backspacing wheel. With my old buddies "backyard" mini tub job thats already done ill be fitting a 315 series tire in there with no problem. Ive got over 13 inches inside there if I do this right. Right now without moving anything I run a 28x11.5" quick time pro with no rubbing.

Comment

Jeff, do you know what rim he is running? (width and backspacing)? I have an 8.5" rim with a 5" backspacing. If you are right about hitting the wheel opening then that is a deal breaker for me -- I'll have to look at other options (maybe a 3.90 gear?)

You know Nick, I never noticed that the springs weren't square on a 1st gen. I'm going to have to go and measure them front and back now. If you moved them in 2" in back wouldn't they hit the gas tank? I'm pretty sure 69-74 Nova's and 67-69 Camaros have the same frame and other than a shorter wheel base and some sheetmetal they are pretty close . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                Originally posted by 72_Ventura
                Yeah, its not really a height issue . . . its that with the taller tire comes extra width and that is the problem.

As it is now I hit the inner wheel well first; then I think I would hit the shock, then the frame and spring.
                Yea, I see that now. I chimed in before fully understanding what I read. I was in a hurry at work, I only spend about 15 minutes on sites like this at work and rush through to read everything.
                From now on, no replies at work. My reading comprehension goes considerably down. As does my spelling (see: shackels).

Comment

Eric, I will have and Post on it. He will remember all the changes he has made, I know he has talked to a lot of guys on it and they have trimed to do it.

Comment

72Ventura, don't apologize man, thanks for the suggestion -- I appreciate it. I worded my original post a little goofy anyways. I have trouble saying something simple with less than about 5,000 words . . . LOL

Thanks Jeff. I've got all the interior out of it now and just finished welding in DSE subframe connectors (they're really nice by the way). So now is the time if I'm going to do anything to the wheel wells.

Comment

Eric68, I recently did a '68 Nova for a guy with the DSE tubs and relocators. I dont like the way Cams/Novas look without the tank hangin, so I sectioned the tank I believe 3" per side. From what I recall, 73Nova will have a time gettin a 315 in because it will hit the spring on the front side of the tire...it tapers wider to the front when you use the relocators (which are the nicest pieces I've ever seen). The springs really limit the width tire you can run. I'd be lying if I told you I remembered the size tire we put on it, but I think it was a 285 on a 8" jus to get it home and had plenty of room.
                      I will also say DSE's stuff really makes for a really nice factory appearance and I'd almost buy a car to do my own with their parts.

Comment

Affordillac. I currently have a 275/60/R15 in there with room to spare and nothings been done. If I relocated the springs inward im pretty sure a 305 wouldnt be a problem and i was hoping for a 315.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                          Eric there is a guy on this board named Andy, I think he is 68rsss. I put a ladder bar and the Detroit speed mini tubs in his car and it fills it up but with the height of the tire it tears off the chrome strip on the bigend of the track when the tire grows, and this is with the 29.9 MT radial. It is fast when the tire is on, it but he likes his chrome :so he runs a ET Street now
                          he switched back to the bias ply ET Street b/c the radial grew too much??? i did the opposite... i ran 30x12.5 ET Streets and they tried to remove my 1/4 panels above 135 mph. that was why i went to the 295-65 ET Street radials, similar size tire w/o the growth. CHIP

Comment

Hey Jeff its 67rsss Eric would know 67 is the only one with wings ;D
                            Eric I had the 295's on mine with a 10" wheel 6" backspace. Jeff put the DSE minitub kit on it so the width was not a issue but they were very close at the front and rear of the wheel well. I was told the DR's don't grow much at speed but the first time down the track I tore a wheel moulding off the drivers side. We raised the rear up 3" and that helped but they still touched at speed. After two sets of trim I gave up and went to 28" tires. One of the orange camaro's at PGD's had a very tall DR on it but I didn't get to see how they made it fit. I did notice it had a pretty good 70's era rake to it. 40 coupe on Team Camaro runs 29" X9" slicks on a stock width rear without mini tubs but he did alot of rolling on the wheel lip. He put the chrome back on to cover it and you cant tell so you could holler at him. If I did it right here are some pics of mine with the 295's

Comment

I still think you should just trim them Andy. :

Comment

Working...
                              X