Coupling two SBC's end to end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupling two SBC's end to end

Was wondering if anyone knew how to couple two engines together end to end, and phase them so that it sounds like a v16?
    not necessarily going to do it, although I do have a couple small blocks on my garage floor... but mainly I just have too much time to think.

Re: Coupling two SBC's end to end

I did see something about this a long time ago, I do remember that you want to connect them 45 degrees apart so that both engines don't fire at the same time. Since a V8 fires every 90 degrees, connecting the second engine 45 degrees off the first will then fire a cylinder every 45 degrees.

Comment

Used to be a Blown Dragster Called the Freight Train one of the True Legands of the sport
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

There were quite a few multiple engine dragsters in the late 50s-early 60s

One way to couple them was with a double row chain wrapped around a sprocket that is attatched to each crankshaft. like this

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Is this somehow related to the tiny SBC thread?

Never saw the Freight Train run, but drooled all over it in mags. Still, it's hard to beat Tommy Ivo's 4 Buicks! Unless it's with 5, 6, 7, 8 engines in a pulling tractor. Those were just insane, but, as I understand it, hydraulically coupled. One even has a 215 Buick sticking out at an odd angle.

Dan

Comment

[quote=JeffMcKC ]
            Used to be a Blown Dragster Called the Freight Train one of the True Legands of the sport [quote] Yeah I've always been intreaged with this. I've been to several web sites about twin engined dragsters.And they look so cool!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              There were quite a few multiple engine dragsters in the late 50s-early 60s

One way to couple them was with a double row chain wrapped around a sprocket that is attatched to each crankshaft. like this

Thanks thats what I had in mind .Any idea where one of those can be found. It's probobly harder to find one now since only nostalgic racers or lsr's use two engines any more. Wait a minuite...........there are all those tractor pullers out there. I'll look up that direction. thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                Is this somehow related to the tiny SBC thread?

Never saw the Freight Train run, but drooled all over it in mags. Still, it's hard to beat Tommy Ivo's 4 Buicks! Unless it's with 5, 6, 7, 8 engines in a pulling tractor. Those were just insane, but, as I understand it, hydraulically coupled. One even has a 215 Buick sticking out at an odd angle.

Dan
                I don't think so,but now you have me wondering,so iLL have to see what I might have missed.As you can see I hadn't scrolled far enough down to your post .Hydro bummer. Well I'll still give that ave. a look see. This is just a thing I've wondered about for eons . Id just like to do it .I might not even put it in any thing just fire it up once in a whilefor kicks!

Comment

There is a guy that's posted on the www.v8s10.org board that has a pair of smallblocks inline in an extended cab S10, I know it's driveable too. I'll see if I can find some contact info for ya. 8)

Comment

I once heard a rumor that at least one side-by-side engine dragster had the two flywheel gears meshing, one engine rotated backwards.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

He goes by "bigjsp" . Here's the thread: http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic...highlight=twin , there are links to some pics and video too. 8)

Comment

Video:
                        <div><embed src="http://www.livevideo.com/flvplayer/e...C6036C51A5E9A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" WIDTH="445" HEIGHT="369" wmode="transparent"></embed><br/><a href="http://www.livevideo.com/video/embed...ing.aspx">twin engine "V-16" S-10 truck -first time running</a></div>

Comment

freighttrain website

Comment

riickracer thanks for the s-10 info. It was alot of fun.Any idea what it's built for? Drag,LSR, or just to see if he could ?

DAWG thaks that is a beutiful car glad it's back together and running again.

Comment

I'm thinkin just becase he could, but he has linked to a few other videos of "an" S10 at the track, and an announcer in another talking about his truck getting some award at some kind of show, talking about over 1000 hp, 3 stages of nitrous, etc. so I'd think drags would be the most logical playground for that monster. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X