Small block ideas and questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small block ideas and questions.....

So I think Ive decided im building a 383 for dads chevelle. Probably next fall or winter. For now were going to try to get some bolt ons for his TIRED 350 to make it run for the summer. Then we can convert everything over to the 383 and he will have a decent motor. The heads on this thing are shot and it smokes, i mean it looks like cheech and chong rolling down the road. Im hoping its guides and not rings. Just for this summers sake. The current motor is a low compression stocker, and i mean stock down to the black bugle air cleaner and wonder log exaust manifolds. So ive got a Q-jet weiand action plus laying around in my garage and dad has his stock 750 Q-jet on his 350 right now. So what do you think? Is this an OK intake? I think im going to rebuild the carb and use this intake. Max performance is not and issue and this thing will probably never see the strip. But i dont want this thing to be a turd. Im just looking for somthing to get this 4000 lb log moving! Then im thinking 180cc or 200cc heads, probably dart platinums. A small hydraulic cam, probably some voodoo grind maybe a 276 duration or somthing close to that. Ill probably set the compression at around 10:1 and run a 1 5/8" header and a 2 1/2" exaust. Im looking for a combo that will run ok with the 350 for the summer but will be optimal for a grunt motor 383 that wont ever be north of 6000 rpm. Anyone have any real solid tested combos? I dont see why 400 hp and about 450-475 ft lbs are out of the question? What ever it is it has to be daily driver friendly and run power 4 wheel disc brakes. Also what would you run for a converter with this? Discuss.....

Re: Small block ideas and questions.....

That motor sounds like a perfect candidate for a set of Vortecs and a Performer. I'd definitely do a leakdown test first though, no sense wasting a set of head gaskets and all that trouble on a toasted shortblock. 8)

Comment

Ditto. Vortecs, a Performer and a GM hot cam if you can swing it. There's a guy with a Nova here in Grand Rapids running 11.9's with a 350 and the hot cam with Vortecs. Add 38 more cubes and that thing would PULL STUMPS.

Comment

I know everyone and their brother sells a vortec style head. Who has the best one for a good value?

Comment

They are cheap enough. Get a new set.
          The factory Vortecs are known for cracking.
          Nothing worse than buying someone problems.

Comment

My friend with the Nova pulled one out a 2000 Escalade with 100k miles on it. Junkyard motor -- not sure how much he paid for it, but he did pull the heads to look at it and there was no ridge in the cylinders.

Comment

The pbm thunder vortecs are pretty decent as a factory style replacements. I like to do just a little bowl cleanup on them before installing them.

Comment

Working...
              X