schubeck solid roller lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schubeck solid roller lifters

i have a set of schubeck solid roller lifters "roller-x" in my engine and they have apparrently been skidding instead of rolling. i discovered this by finding 5 worn lobes on my cam. i have the typical high rpm bbc setup, ti retainers and keepers, 300/900 spring pressures and approx 800 lift cam. alum rockers.

has anyone else had experience with these lifters, and if so, have you had problems like this?

thanks,
    houston

Re: schubeck solid roller lifters

Do you have the topend oil resticted?
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

no restrictors, dart block, 40 lbs oil press hot

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
        i have a set of schubeck solid roller lifters "roller-x" in my engine and they have apparrently been skidding instead of rolling. i discovered this by finding 5 worn lobes on my cam. i have the typical high rpm bbc setup, ti retainers and keepers, 300/900 spring pressures and approx 800 lift cam. alum rockers.

has anyone else had experience with these lifters, and if so, have you had problems like this?

thanks,
        houston
        schubeck is out of business (you probably knew that), anyway, I've had great luck with crower hipos and my engine builder really likes the new crane ultra pros.

Comment

My engine machining guy builds bbc drag boat engines and he has experienced solid roller lifter skid when using synthetic oils. He stays away from synthetics now, on the other hand my brother has always used synthetics on sbc's with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by kstanbach
            Originally posted by biginch

thanks,
            houston
            schubeck is out of business (you probably knew that), anyway, I've had great luck with crower hipos and my engine builder really likes the new crane ultra pros.
            nope. i didnt know. i guess they are so much junk now.

Comment

ask santa for new stuff

Comment

What kinda oil were you using? What API-rating?
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I would go back with the new Red Zones

Needle bearings are not good on Drag Week

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                    I would go back with the new Red Zones

Needle bearings are not good on Drag Week
                    that was my next question, how well are the redzone bushed-rollers working?

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                    What kinda oil were you using? What API-rating?
                    castrol 20w50 non synthetic

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                    ask santa for new stuff
                    i dont like talking to myself, i am afraid i might start to answer.

Comment

Could it be the oil was too thick perhaps?
                      I can imagine the oil would be building up in front of the rollerwheel and even causing some significant drag inside the rollers perhaps, causing the roller to slide.

I'm far from being an expert on roller cams so maybe a more experienced engine-builder could chime in.
                      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Oddy says he just changes them out of fear but not because of failing. Its just me but I went to the Crane Bushed Rockers and am pleased, I will be putting in the Isky's

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                          Could it be the oil was too thick perhaps?
                          I can imagine the oil would be building up in front of the rollerwheel and even causing some significant drag inside the rollers perhaps, causing the roller to slide.

I'm far from being an expert on roller cams so maybe a more experienced engine-builder could chime in.
                          i have measured the over all legnth of all the lifters, the damaged ones are shorter than the rest by an amount that corresponds to the amount of damage on the lobes. i think the aluminum cradles the ceramic rollers are seated in broke down under sustained driving. the reason i have this theory is because the temp required to break the heat treat of aluminum is only about 260 degrees F. after annealing most aluminum alloys have very little stregnth. i think they heated up from prolonged use, then galled and began to drag badly. i thought there might have been a contamination issue, but inspecting the rollers there is only one that shows any drag marks (indicating something may have gottem between the roller and seat) at all, and is only a single very fine mark around the wheel.

the only good thing is that i only had 200$ in the lifters. i got them brand new on ebay.

Comment

But now you know why, sorry to hear bro. I used the royal purple in mine but I dont know if its any better than anything else

Comment

Im quitting smoking in January.If I save enough money to get my stuff done and You still have not got the lifter and cam deal purchased I'll play Santa.You do beleive in Sant dont you?

Comment

Working...
                              X