70 Chevelle electrical questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Chevelle electrical questions

I'm helping a buddy bring an old friend back from the dead, and need some advice.

The basic car is complete ('70 SS with 496/T400/9 inch) with many accessory systems still needing completion including carb & fuel system, partial electric, ignition and some gauge work. It will ultimately be street driven and we're looking for high-9 to low-10 second performance.

What I need to decide on are the following:

Should i use a remote Ford-style starter solenoid with trunk mounted battery. The battery mount is complete, with "push-off" remote disconnect installed. I think this will be safer and will help with hot-starting. What is the impact on the existing starter solenoid and can this be wired correctly to prevent run-on?

Should I convert to a 1-wire alternator? I have a new 160-amp MSD 1-wire, but can exchange for 3-wire. There are no accessories on this car other than dual Spal fans and A1000 electric fuel pump. MSD7 Digital and distributor will be the ignition.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.
    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Re: 70 Chevelle electrical questions

Ford-style remote solenoid is the way to go. One-wire alternators are not.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I like the Ford style solenoid, mostly because it reduces the chance of electrical fire.... I'm not sure it does much to solve many hot start problems; but again that is just my own experience.
      And I agree with dagenesta - one wire alternators are useful in very narrow circumstances (so narrow I can't think of one at this moment).... and if I wasn't so lazy, I would change the one off my Buick. It causes a world of issues, not the least of which charging issue with my trunk mounted battery.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

could someone please explain to me why NOT to use a 1 wire alternator? I was planning on putting one in my car in spring. Thanks!

Comment

I don't know why. I've got one on my mostly stock 70 Caprice and it runs great. Some believe that they don't charge at idle. Mine just needs a kick of the throttle once to get it going and it will continue charging while the AC, wipers, and headlights are running at idle.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Unregulated charging from a 1-wire could reduce battery life.

Does the 160 alt have a serpentine pulley? Most at this level do. If you swap a v-belt pulley, you might have a lot of belt slippage, which might be hard to notice except the belts will prematurely stretch.

Check out this site for a lot of electrical system questions - http://madelectrical.com/
            Tampa, FL

Comment

The reason I don't like my one-wire is cuz it charges at a constant rate instead of need-based. When I turn the turn signal on, the guage goes up and down with the blinker. Now, the turn signal doesn't draw much, but when you turn on the hi beams, wipers, and heater all at once, the guage sinks all the way down.

I have not really had any problems except peace of mind, so perhaps the issue is in the 'ol noggin.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I use a 1 wire on every hotrod I get.
                Works perfect, start the car, rev to about 1300RPMs and it starts to charge, never had a problem, plus its easy to hook up and less wire mess.

Comment

The one wire doesn't have a way to connect the idiot light. This may not be a concern if you plan on adding a voltmeter to the car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I like many others have been using a single wire and had no trouble.This with all the basic electronics,plus a very stout sound system.The only heating problem that i have had was with some starters that would not take the climate next to the three inch header collector.Installed a MSD mini and all problems solved.Lifetime warranty also.

Good luck,patsdad!!
                    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                      The reason I don't like my one-wire is cuz it charges at a constant rate instead of need-based. When I turn the turn signal on, the guage goes up and down with the blinker. Now, the turn signal doesn't draw much, but when you turn on the hi beams, wipers, and heater all at once, the guage sinks all the way down.

I have not really had any problems except peace of mind, so perhaps the issue is in the 'ol noggin.

I have a regular alternator (three wire) on my Monte Carlo and it does that too (needle moves with blinker) acts the same with all
                      the stuff on, I wonder if its a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mc1984ss
                        could someone please explain to me why NOT to use a 1 wire alternator? I was planning on putting one in my car in spring. Thanks!
                        Read this at MadElectrical http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Install the solenoid in the rear alongside the battery, this ensures the main batt/starter cable is live only during cranking.
                        http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/tm-1.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                          Originally posted by mc1984ss
                          Read this at MadElectrical http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml
                          Yet there are 1000s on the street and they run just fine, I think madelectrical must sell wiring for 3 wire hook ups and wants to make a sale?
                          There are reasons why not to drive with slicks and open headers on the street also but that never stopped anyone!!!

Comment

Yes I was right on the money!!
                            For those would like the advantages of the THREE-WIRE without caring much about how it works, our part # ALT-1, alternator wiring kit has pleased thousands of people in the years we have sold it. The kit makes it simple to wire the THREE-WIRE system without knowing why or how the system works, and we have kept the price tag low for the kit too ($27.95).

Comment

Originally posted by MadmanMark
                              Unregulated charging from a 1-wire could reduce battery life.

Does the 160 alt have a serpentine pulley? Most at this level do. If you swap a v-belt pulley, you might have a lot of belt slippage, which might be hard to notice except the belts will prematurely stretch.

Check out this site for a lot of electrical system questions - http://madelectrical.com/
                              Thanks for the site ref, Mad, and for everyone's advice. This was exactly what I needed. I'll be keeping the three-wire set-up for now, until we get around to a complete wiring harness swap over the winter.

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                              X