69 C10 engine swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 C10 engine swap questions

I'm planning to start a new project soon and I'm gathering parts.
    It's a 69 C10 pickup, 6 cyl., 3 on the tree. Plans are 350, 700 r4, power steering, brakes and air (hot in Ga).
    I have the engine, trans, headers, radiator, and a lot of the small stuff.
    What I am looking to find out is what power steering gear will work as close to bolt in as possible.
    Other questions that come to mind..Driveshaft?...Crossmember? Mounts? (using HEI distributor)
    OK truck guys...help a brotha out!
    Don
    "Big cars need lovin too"

Re: 69 C10 engine swap questions

The most bolt on steering gear would be the optional original power steering gear for a 69 chevy pickup (that was easy) A different pitman arm is required compared to the manual setup.

V8s mounted further forward, they use different frame perches. If you have a 292 now you have one perch already, if you have a 250 then you need to replace both of them. The hei will clear fine with the V8 perches. Remove the bellhousing crossmember, find an aut0matic rear crossmember (under the tailshaft) from a 63-72 pickup.

Your stock driveshaft might work, or it might be an inch too short?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

All my experience has come from a 69 blazer. Rebuilt three times. The dash is a pain, the photo printed circut is really delicate and if it doesn't work after some gentle cleaning and dielectric grease get a new one and hope. The gas tanks are prone to rust and worth a good check. My HEI fits with 2 1/2 inches to spare. It is the roomiest engine compartment I have worked in.

Steve
      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

ahhhhh i just got rid of one parted out the truck and no one wanted it so i scraped it the guys are right look for a factory one 69 etc... is easyer to find one bolts right in and works nice
        mine was a factory 67 my other 67 has manual steering and my 69 gmc had power my 71 had manual check around they are out there still

Comment

If it's already an A/C truck, putting A/C back on the v-8 should be simple. If not, there are a few aftermarket a/c companies that sell kits. I'm sure some people around here could reccommend a good company to deal with.

You'll need to change your fan shroud. My 82 c-10 Blazer was originally a straight six truck. A previous owner put a v-8 in it, but didn't find the correct shroud... it overheated. The fan was two or three inches behind the opening in the shroud, and didn't pull air through the radiator like it's supposed to. In hot weather, especially if you're running the A/C, you'll need a proper fan shroud... or a fancy electric fan set-up.

Comment

Nice thing about your project is the room available.The drive shaft should be to long with the 7000r4 conversion.Easily shortened and balanced by a machine shop.Good luck.
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Thanks for the comments...
              The thing that got me curious on the gear was a couple of steering gears I saw at a swap meet last week. They were tagged as 67-79 C10 gears. If a later model will work, that would give me a wider range to look for in the bone yard. If a gear into the 80's would work, the local pick and pull is loaded.
              Don
              "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

the input shaft size changed sometime in the late 70s, iirc. But yeah, the same box was used for a long time. Sorry I didn't mention that fact!
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You can use a rag joint adapter from the 73-87 "box body" GM trucks to use the new box. They changed the box but the trucks used the same collumns for years afterwards.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                  X