Oppinions on an engine rebuild kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oppinions on an engine rebuild kit.

Ok, so I bought my basketcase about 2 months ago now, and the guy I bought it from told me that he had just rebuilt the motor. If that's true he didn't properly break it in before beating on it because the rear main seal is leaking (and so are a few other places) and I haven't beaten on it at all. So, it's time for me to go through this thing on my own.
    What I want to know from all of you junkies is if anyone has any advice on engine rebuild kits to buy.
    I've never done a complete overhaul or bought my parts in a kit. I used to sell parts and always heard good things about Federal Mogul, so I was thinking about going with one of their kits that comes with the forged flat pistons.
    There's nothing special about my motor and it'll be a while - and probably another rebuild - before I put any real power into (although I'm looking at a new cam and heads also), so we're talking stock 350 for now, but with a little room for extras.
    I'm thinking something like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&view=1&N=700+
    Anyone used one of these kits or know of something better?

Re: Oppinions on an engine rebuild kit.

Are the internals of the engine still OK?
    It may be worth continuing to run the engine.
    Have you done a comp or leakdown test? Have you viewed any bearings?

Often an engine will leak at the rear main, but may not be the fault of the seal.
    Many novice engine builders will forget (or not be aware) of sealing the rear main cap between the seal and where the pan gasket meets.
    Also, when fitting a rear seal, don't have the parting lines of the seal in line with the cap's parting line. Clock it slightly to help eliminate the risk of leaking. This advice is now in FelPro's fitting instructions.

Comment

I haven't done any compression or leakdown tests, but I have done a vacuum test and the vacuum comes back up pretty slow after revving which usually means rings are worn or improperly seated (if I remember right).
      There is nothing that will stop the engine from running, but I see them as indicators that the engine was just thrown together in a hurry. I want to get in there and rebuild it for two reason. I have people at the shop to help me with the parts of an overhaul that I haven't done before, and because if anything is wrong with it after I do it I can't blame someone else.
      I'll probably do compression and leakdown tests tomorrow or friday and make my decision. But I guess over all it's a matter of me wanting to do it and not needing to do it. I have a hard time telling the difference sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
        Are the internals of the engine still OK?
        It may be worth continuing to run the engine.
        Have you done a comp or leakdown test? Have you viewed any bearings?

Often an engine will leak at the rear main, but may not be the fault of the seal.
        Many novice engine builders will forget (or not be aware) of sealing the rear main cap between the seal and where the pan gasket meets.
        Also, when fitting a rear seal, don't have the parting lines of the seal in line with the cap's parting line. Clock it slightly to help eliminate the risk of leaking. This advice is now in FelPro's fitting instructions.
        For that matter if they weren't a regular at rebuildin they could of put the rear main in backwards seen it a million times.

I have seen complete kits in various forms/stages from a company called carolina parts warehouse and price wise you can't beat them and they list them as name brand parts.I have never dealt with them,but you have to be a business addy and also they list for .010 and up overbore too.

8)

Comment

Working...
        X