Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

400 block, wrong caps - worth it to align hone it or just get new block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 400 block, wrong caps - worth it to align hone it or just get new block?

If the block checks out good, have it line bored.

Comment

Just a point of clarification. Both align "honing" and align "boring" have been mentioned here. They are two different processes with two different costs! You can get away with "honing" if the block is out maybe .001 or .002, maybe up to .010 depending on the machinist or shop equipment. More than that requires boring. Boring should be followed up with honing, but not always. Sometimes the machinist determines that the finish and accuracy are "good enough" and honing is not done. Boring always cost more than honing due to the time and subsequent honing.

Others may have different experiences and opinions to share. This is a great forum and we can all learn from the "collective wisdom" on here.

Comment

It's an excellent point, I didn't even think about it. But consider the the audience we speak to here. ;D

Comment

Let me know they are not going anywhere soon.

Comment

Correct me if im wrong here but on 400 blocks, running a straight standard 4 bolt setup actually weakens the block. It weakens the webbing, the only way to do this is to run a splayed cap setup is how I understand it....

Comment

The GM 4 bolt 400 caps are nodular iron, so you can get the benefit of the stronger cap without using the outer bolt boles. ... just something to think about.

Comment

Its a low compression daily driver engine so the caps are not really that important. I am just hoping they might fit better than the ones on the engine. The Bore is about 25 thou off to one side on the caps compared to the block.

I should have the free caps this week to see if they will work.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Nova
                  Correct me if im wrong here but on 400 blocks, running a straight standard 4 bolt setup actually weakens the block. It weakens the webbing, the only way to do this is to run a splayed cap setup is how I understand it....
                  Agree.

Comment

X2
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Hello All:

I followed links to this site after reading the Feb Hot Rod and finding that DF is gone. A Google search lead me here...

Does the block you have now have a lot of core shift? Is the cam bearing hole in the center of the block pad? This could be an issue that I have seen over the years with the 400 blocks I have machined. The 400 blocks tend to crack at the steam holes in the deck on the 2 bolt blocks. The 4 bolt blocks tend to crack at the webbing in the case. The splayed caps are a great way to go. The factory should have never used the vertical bolts on the outer 4 bolt blocks.

One other note: Be careful with the amount that they take to align bore your block. If they take too much you move the crank closer to the cam. This causes timing issues and in extreme cases cam lobe hits. I have also seen where gear drives won't fit and timing chains have to be custom ordered.

Comment

I am hoping they take next to nothing from the block, and the block has no apparent core shift. The should be able to gind the caps shorter, and run the boring bar through it and take most of the cut from the caps to true it up.

I am going to hit the block with the sonic checker when I have time. Some initial checks showed it to be surprising thick in the bores.

Comment

The ProGram's are nice pieces, we use them all the time in the Turbo and 455 Buick world, especially those of us who don't have chassis clearance for a girdle. My 4.1 has 3 out of the 4 maincaps as billet ProGram Engineering units. Its nice because even if you get used ones, you can weld and machine them back to fitting properly, try that with cast iron.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                          X