X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Easiest way to destroke a 434 SBC

FOR THE GUY WANTING TO BUILD A STOCK LOOKING 406 TO LOOK LIKE A 283 - -
    THEY MAKE A BALANCE PLATE THAT BOLTS BETWEEN THE CRANK FLANGE AND THE FLYWHEEL .LOOK THEM UP ON EBAY, THIS IS INSTALLED WITH THE ASSEMBLY TO BE BALANCED AND ALLOWS THE USE OF A 283 OR 327 STYLE HARMONIC BALANCER WITHOUT THE OBVIOUS LOOK OF THE STOCK 400 BALANCER .
    ALSO , EDELBROCK MAKES A PERFORMER RPM QJET THAT ACCEPTS SPREAD BORE AND STD HOLLEY PATTERNS AND CAN BE OPENED UP FOR THE FRONT OIL FILL TUBE.
    COMP CAMS ROLLER ROCKERS FIT NICELY UNDER 283 , 327 STOCK VALVE COVERS .
    A EARLY 60'S 283 195 HP SINGLE SNORKEL AIR CLEANER LOOKS GOOD WITH THE CUT OUT BOTTOM OF A MID 70'S 350 4 BBL BASE LEFT OPEN AT THE BOTTOM FOR AMPLE AIR FLOW. A HOLLEY 650 OR 800CFM DOUBLE PUMPER SPREAD BORE HIDES NICELY UNDER THIS EXAMPLE WITH A STOCK STEEL FUEL LINE FROM THE MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP.

DONT FORGET TO RUN AN EARLY CANISTER OIL FILTER . THESE FIT ANY BLOCK THAT HAS THE CENTER HOLE TAPPED IN ABOVE THE OIL PRESSURE RELEIF VALVE, MOST BLOCKS DO. CANISTER FILTERS ARE EASY TO INSPECT FOR DIRT AND HOLD AND POTENTIALLY COOL MORE OIL AND LOOK CONVINCINGLY STOCK .
    I'VE DONE EACH OF THESE ON A SMALL BLOCK AND HAD AMAZINGLY STOCK APPEARANCE.

Comment

That balance plate doesn't affect the balance on the front of the motor. Only the rear.

There are a few manufacturers who make stock style balancers that has the weight removed from the inside as a series of drillings that looks lke a stock large balancer. I have seen them, just don't know who makes them.

Comment

And a stock large balancer would fool some folks into thinking it's a stock short stroke engine...but not the guys who know what they're looking at.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I am not going all out. I am just having a little fun with it. It will fool 98% of the people which is fine with me. The 400 cutout balancer is a dead givable however.

Its going to have obvious double hump heads and a 67' Qjet intake. I am going to sticker it up as a 327 :P Its a super mild motor and its not a race car, so its all in fun.

Comment

I know this isn't a perfect solution, but if you're looking for a 90% rule - I am using this damper on my 406 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SFI-H...mZ180199481372
            It's 6 3/4 diameter - so it's certainly close enough that most people would not realize the difference. I used it on my car because the smaller rotating diameter gets the rpms up faster (idea came from an article about how to make a motor spin faster).
            Also, I'll give kudos to Racer's outlet... they've treated me well.

Comment

Working...
            X