Easiest way to destroke a 434 SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to destroke a 434 SBC

I'm building this SBC 434 stroker (Lunati kit), and want to keep it stealth.

-Just add valvecover decals, and voila!

-has rollercam, edelbrock heads, rpm performer intake (with name removed).. -should make in excess of 550 tq. -but (only) around 450-475 hp at 5500 rpm..

-Now I just need a car for it...

Re: Easiest way to destroke a 434 SBC

Nice sleeper! The heads are a bit of a giveaway. What intake is that?

Comment

Some JB Weld and several hours with a die grinder could make the heads look like power packs

Stealth is fun....and stock steel valve covers are highly underrated
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        It's just an Edelbrock rpm performer intake.. -I just added the oil-filler tube. -Heads have no edelbrock logos on them, (only on the inside)..

Comment

Yeah, but we all know that 283s never had heads with all those holes in the ends, and the extra bolt hole for the exhaust is a late 70s and newer thing.

edit: here's a 4bbl 283 head

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Sweetness! :D That is pretty much what I had in mind for a "one day" project. I planned on the JB weld and die grinder route for the heads that squirrel mentioned.

Comment

I am building a milder version of that engine.

406 with double hump heads (been thinking of grinding off the double humps) dressed up as a stock 57' 283 4 brl for my 57'.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                Some JB Weld and several hours with a die grinder could make the heads look like power packs

Stealth is fun....and stock steel valve covers are highly underrated
                I did one like that for a customer a few years ago. Went into a '57 Chevy.

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Claus Moeller
                  It's just an Edelbrock rpm performer intake.. -I just added the oil-filler tube. -Heads have no edelbrock logos on them, (only on the inside)..
                  I thought it looked like an RPM. How did you add the filler tube? Weld in a section from another intake?

Comment

Originally posted by Claus Moeller
                    I thought it looked like an RPM. How did you add the filler tube? Weld in a section from another intake?

No no, -it waas much easier than that; Just drill a hole where tube is supposed to be, and pressfit it (I added epoxy glue around fillertube before)

Below is a 'before' picture:

Comment

Dynoroom -- that is a work of ART :D I want to do that with a pair of Dart iron heads -- like some 215cc Iron Eagles with a full port job and stick 'em on top of a 434. I figure something old school vintage drag race on top like an old cross-ram manifold that would still perform well and be "period correct" (suggestions?). Then add a little oil and dust in just the right places to make it all pretty convincing.

I like this sleeper stuff if you guys can't tell!

Comment

Hey Eric, I have a 283 block out to 4 inches ( its a thick one) and a turned down large journal crank from a 350, infact 2 of those cranks left over from the old days of sneeking around.
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I am still looking for a 400 balancer that looks like a stock internally balanced balancer. I don't feel like rebalancing the engine and I need a balancer anyways. Anyone know of one?

I have a Performer intake laying around I might grind off the logo and drill for the oil fill tube. Then I could run one of the carter AFB's I have laying around for a period correct look. How much better are they than the stock mid 60's iron intakes?

Comment

That looks suspiciously like my Edelbrock RPM intake. The performer's had spread bore carb mounting. There is a place to put in the vent tube on it, only have to drill it out.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
                              Dynoroom -- that is a work of ART :D I want to do that with a pair of Dart iron heads -- like some 215cc Iron Eagles with a full port job and stick 'em on top of a 434. I figure something old school vintage drag race on top like an old cross-ram manifold that would still perform well and be "period correct" (suggestions?). Then add a little oil and dust in just the right places to make it all pretty convincing.

I like this sleeper stuff if you guys can't tell!
                              Sure Eric, we've done that before, you might even be racing against them.... ;)

One other thing I did on the engine above. The customer wanted it to have the offset bolt valve covers from the real early engines so we welded the boss and redrilled for the 9 fin vette valve covers. He loves it. 8)
                              There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X