No announcement yet.

Need an aluminum dash for my drag car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an aluminum dash for my drag car.

Does anyone kow where I can get an aluminum dash for my duster? I have seen the one in Jegs book, it has only a 5" face. I would like to have one a little closer to the actual size of the original dash. Any ideas.

Re: Need an aluminum dash for my drag car.

Do it the time honored way....find your local scrap metal yard, buy an old roadsign, and make your own.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      Do it the time honored way....find your local scrap metal yard, buy an old roadsign, and make your own.

Or check with your local HVAC installer. These guys have a really cool set of sheetmetal tools and for a 12-pack of ice cold barley pop they could be persuaded to help you make an aluminum dash just like you want.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Or try your local(gulp)Gm Performance parts dealer and get a new Cobalt or Cavalier dash. I like the way they look. This is one in my heap. I had an Alston aluminum dash in my old Duster no pictures though.

Comment

I am doing a 1/4 miler 71 Demon project. Luckily i am in touch with an insulation mechanic/tinbasher.
          1st of all, he got a piece of stiff cardboard and measured and snipped it with scissors until it was a rough fit.
          Then he transferred that shape to a piece of thin gauge stainless.
          He fabbed the piece of stainless to fit the contour of the old gauge panel over to the passenger side.
          You need to bend it slightly approx. in the middle to fit properly.
          Then i cut the appropriate holes to fit the gauges and toggle switches,etc.
          He is coming back when i get the roll cage in,to fab some metal to seal the trunk off around the wheel tubs and behind the area where the rear seat was.

Comment

Just a Pic of the Guages I installed in my Kia LSR. Only 3 guages for what I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Al
              Or try your local(gulp)Gm Performance parts dealer and get a new Cobalt or Cavalier dash. I like the way they look. This is one in my heap. I had an Alston aluminum dash in my old Duster no pictures though.
              That is a real nice looking car. I really like it
              Tom

Comment

Go on line to McMaster-Carr, go to their Sheetmetal section, and get yourself a piece of aluminum.
                Make a cardboard template, lay it out, and cut to fit with an electric jigsaw (ALWAYS a good tool to have in the shop. Good for wood, metal and Plexiglas with just a blade change). Get a couple of appropriately sized hole saws, and you're good to go.

For gauges, get something a little thicker than standard thin-gauge sheetmetal. I don't have a recommendation, but it'll need some meat on it to hold the gauges in place.

-Brad

Comment

I've bought a lot of tin from the local HVAC dealer... and Ron's right they have some bitchen tools... bought my BIG hole saw there...

K

Comment

I've been getting aluminum from a local metal supplier. I get their cut-offs rather than a whole sheet, and it's pretty cheap - like $3.00/lb, if I remember correctly. It's Gulfstream, INC in Hampstead, NC, but I'll bet there is someone in your area, too. I've cut all mine with a Kett centercut shear, and I'm using 1/8" Works great. If you use a jig saw, you'll need to keep the little chips that come out away from the saw base or it'll mar the piece you're working on. The saw sort of vibrates and grinds the cuttings into the surface. You can resurface the piece with 150 sandpaper run in the direction of the "grain" of the aluminum, but it's a real pain! We're taking hand sanding here. When you're done, it'll look like the original surface of the sheet, more or less.

Later
                    Dan

Comment

Dan,

I was in the same boat as you, using a jigsaw to cut aluminum sheet. I found that if you go to Wal-Mart and buy roll of plain, white shelf paper and adhere it to the aluminum sheet prior to cutting, it gives you a great way to lay out the pattern you wish to cut by allowing you to draw directly on the paper and it offers some protection from scratches and gouges. It also peels off fairly easy when you are done cutting.

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                        Dan,

I was in the same boat as you, using a jigsaw to cut aluminum sheet. I found that if you go to Wal-Mart and buy roll of plain, white shelf paper and adhere it to the aluminum sheet prior to cutting, it gives you a great way to lay out the pattern you wish to cut by allowing you to draw directly on the paper and it offers some protection from scratches and gouges. It also peels off fairly easy when you are done cutting.

Ron
                        You ought to get a prize for that tech tip. I use a lot of aluminum road signs, bought at the scrap yard. Cheap, fairly easy to hack. You could also go around the city or county maintenance and maybe pick up a few used items, sometimes for free.

Comment

I have an aluminum dash in my 69 mach1 - I'll be removing it -- unless it will fit in my 86 ranger drag truck --- I'll be selling it...

what dimensions are your car????

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                            Dan,

Ron
                            Interesting. I've seen sheet metal with a similar coating on it sold for applications that needed a scratch-free finish, but you'll have a hard time finding it at a scrap dealer with the coating still on. Sounds like a great way to get the same thing when working with scrap.

Comment

Great tech tip on the paper. Beats a sharpie!

Comment

Working...
                              X