do i need to balance my engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i need to balance my engine

i have a cast crank, cast piston 350 chevy. i am changing the stock rods to a set of scat i-beams. do i need to rebalance the engine or will it be fine? the engine probably wont make over 400 horsepower and i really dont want to spend the money if i dont have to

Re: do i need to balance my engine

It's a good idea to balance an engine when you change parts (other than exact stock replacements).

Although I can't imagine why you'd put those rods in that engine....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Which scat I beams?

There are the ones that look just like the stock rods but are made of better material (5140? steel) and there are the fully machined I beams that are the same as their H beams. The stock looking ones weigh just a touch more than the stockers (in the 580g range IIRC due to the denser material) and are usually ok without rebalancing with a stock weight or slightly lighter piston. They are meant to be a stock replacement.

The fully machined I beams are quite a bit heaverier and will need rebalancing unless you use a lightweight wristpin on a stock weight piston. They are about 620g IIRC and you can loose 50g from a lightweight wristpin - which means no nitrous and the pins will be more expensive than your cast pistons by quite a bit. It would be cheaper to change the rods to stockers or the lighter stock replacement scats.

Comment

In your case I would not say that it would be necessary. But if you are going to be drag racing it a lot it is always a good idea to have it balanced. It will help your engine live longer.

Comment

money well spent, unless you weigh the rods big end and total and tey are the same
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC

money

well

spent

Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              It's a good idea to balance an engine when you change parts (other than exact stock replacements).

Although I can't imagine why you'd put those rods in that engine....

I totally agree; then you know the bottom end is good to go and can focus on the top end stuff.

Comment

Figure the cost to balance it now compared to a rebuild in 12 months.
                sigpic

Comment

yeah, you guys are probably right

Comment

Working...
                  X