Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone built a twin engine car

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
    Tommy Ivo tied them together with double flywheels and ran one with reverse rotation boat engine valvetrain. It was a side by side not an inline.
    You mean this one?

Comment

how do you hook a trans up to that?

Comment

Originally posted by 6pakdakota
        how do you hook a trans up to that?
        Trans? Don't need no stinking trans! :D

Pretty sure that car was direct drive.

Comment

even without a trans how does the power get back to the rear end?

Comment

Originally posted by 6pakdakota
            even without a trans how does the power get back to the rear end?
            On his four engine car, the pumpkin on the diff is off set to one side.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Never seen the backside of the motor setup but I did know that to make the flywheels mesh he ran one with boat valvetrains to get it to run in reverse rotation but keep the oil pump going the right way. I'm pretty sure he ran it without a trans and had it connected to just one of the engines but that is pure speculation since I could think of some chain drive ways of getting it to run off of both.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Comment

Now Tommy Ivo's engines were Buick nailheads, didn't the early V8s have integral bell housings? I know the flattie did, not sure about the Nailhead.

If the engines on Ivo's car did have integral bell housings how would that have effected the way he had to hook them together? Seems that the flywheels couldn't be meshed together without some serious work to the factory bell housing.

Comment

Scroll down this page for a small shot of Ivo?s dragster being built.
                    It shows the Buick motors from behind, I don?t see bellhousings,
                    just a motor plate.

http://www.standard1320.com/Fuller/KentFuller.html

Just for fun, stuff I found looking for Ivo dragsters.

http://www.wediditforlove.com/diggers-Bikini-Beach.html

Comment

Originally posted by FANTASY FACTORY
                      OK kids, My brother and I stuck a pair of mopar 318's inline back in the early 70's we did it on an engine cradle we built for a test bed, DAD warned us, He cobbled up the coupler for us at the machine shop he worked in, using a "LOV-JOY" JOINT, welded to custom flanges, the biggest trick is phasing the firing order, The LEAD machinest, one of these Krazee Germans left over from the big war, gave us the dilly, the second or LAG engine must have its TDC #1 at 315 degrees after TDC of cyl 1 of the lead engine. this puts your new firing order at 158742316854732, 22.5 degrees apart.
                      if memory serves me correct, the combo idled at about 300 rpm, but we never did anything more than admire our handi work,
                      I don't really know much about this double engine stuff but my common sense tells me 45 degrees apart would work better. The idea being that on a normal V8 you get a pulse every 90 degrees so the second motor should be 45 degrees behind so you get a pulse every 45 degrees which would be smoother. Sound logical?

Comment

Originally posted by steveD
                        I don't really know much about this double engine stuff but my common sense tells me 45 degrees apart would work better. The idea being that on a normal V8 you get a pulse every 90 degrees so the second motor should be 45 degrees behind so you get a pulse every 45 degrees which would be smoother. Sound logical?
                        First, welcome to you both, and Fantasy, nice to see a fellow Long Islander here. And what Fantasy has is firing the second engine 45? after the first just with the firing orders meshed better.
                        sigpic

Comment

Carl really liked the article. Thanks Malc. He over thinks everything. Worries before anything starts.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Here you go, uncle malc gets the info
                            http://www.standard1320.com/Ivo/Buic...TwinBuick.html lots of it.
                            I wonder how that twin Buick would have run with a lot more wheelbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              Now the million dollar question...

Where is that car now?!

Brian
                              Yup,and are there are any more pics of the cute blonde in the pic?

Don't ever let anyone tell you that hotrodders are dumb. Just show them the link to this thread if they do.

Comment

check out ed hill's twin pontiac from the day too

Comment

Working...
                                X