Paint guns.Sata vurses any other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint guns.Sata vurses any other

Hoping some of the more talented painters out there would give me some knowledge on the difference in the sata guns available and what they thought about laying paint down.base coat clear and single stage applications and best gun combos.
    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Re: Paint guns.Sata vurses any other

I can't really help you but looking at your picture you might a little more then a paint gun.
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Thats the old car that was totaled on the power tour last year.Have done a new one and started painting some Mini Cup cars for the Arena Racing Division out of Charlotte,NC.Looking for some good advice on guns.thanks

Comment

Every discipline has it requisite brand name tool that you have to be "seen with" to be considered a "pro". If you want to look like a Pro then you have to have an expensive Sata. If you just want the best tool for the job then read on. I'm still pissed that my suction Binks is outlawed. I was used to it and it was it was hard to convert over to gravity feed HVLP. So consider my remarks with prejudice. If you shoot one part paint I doubt you will find a difference in and "professional grade" gun. However, there is a big difference in base coat, clear-coat jobs. There seems to be two camps. Some consider the base the most important because it is difficult and time consuming to correct mistakes. Since clear is color sanded, buffed and polished, that work has to be done anyway and the gun, and finish produced, is not considered as important as the base coat. The other camp considers the clear-coat as the most important. The amount of total time and work you do is drastically effected by the finished quality of the surface you lay down. I have shot base coat with both Sata and Iwata. On base-coat there is not enough difference between the guns to recommend one over the other. I would buy on the basis of cost and local support. However, on the clear coat, nothing can match the atomization of the Iwata. It is a beautiful gun that will lay down clear that won't have to be touched in some areas (although I never let clear go untouched). I can't describe it but for clear I consider it the best. I own an Iwata. If you get one buy some different size nozzles at the same time. Base and clear have different viscosity and sometimes it is best to change orifice size. I have a few cheap cheap guns ($30-$60) for primer and sealer that I throw away occasionally. I wouldn't let primer, sealer or anything else touch my finish guns. A man's gun is very personal (pun intended) ;D so remember this advice is worth what you paid for it. All the best to you.

Comment

I forgot to add there may be another way if you can't borrow the guns to use. The local vocational school may have an auto body class. Usually you have to sign up for at least a quarter but you can learn a lot from a good, experienced teacher. I'm sure you can't beat the price of registration for the value you will receive.

Comment

I continue to use my old Binks #7, a tried and true work horse. Some day, someone from the NC State Environmental Protection Agency (or whatever they call it) will come and pry it out of my cold, dead hand, but in the meantime......

Anyhow, it works great, and seems to be legal in NC. At least, the guys at the paint store have never asked. I also have a Sharpe that I use for primer. I would use it for color, too, but it sprays an ! and I've never been able to get it right. Neither have several pros who have messed with it. So, it does primer. When my ship comes in, I'll try one of those fancy HVLP guns.

Hope this helps
            Dan

Comment

I don't paint for a living.
              I build motors.

Ok, that said, I have been painting off and on for 20 years.
              Actually work at a place, for a short time, that did nothing but paint and powder coat.
              I was a die hard Binks guy and never needed on of those fancy top loaders.

WELL, 8 years ago I got a gravity HVLP. It uses the bags in the cup!
              I know there are newer nice but, it rocks. Way less clean-up time. Turn the gun upside down.
              (no air) pull the trigger, pull the bag out. Clean what is left, only paint in the gun.

Way nice!

Comment

Dan, It has gotten so bad that I have to show my drivers license (a gov't photo ID) in order to buy paint > The local air quality control dist (northern Calif) is now cracking down on "comercial" paint stores that are selling to citizens. They want all paint sold only to a business that has a certified, environmental approved, paint booth. This is not a joke. A county rep reviews the stores receipts to see if a customer has a resale license or business tax ID. :o Yeah I know, there are always two sides to "environmental" issues and I won't waste the electrons or time to discuss it here.

Comment

The story I got when they started carding for paint in California was to keep it out of the hands of teenagers (which is still BS, cause I know I was painting things in Highschool) to reduce both Tagging and to stop idiots from huffing it (Chrome and Gold Chrome paints supposibly get you the highest : )
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Might want to move to NC!

But seriously - CA air is SO BAD they have to do something. Still, it seems like they could at least be reasonable. I paint maybe one overall a year and several touch-ups (like, a fender or something). I don't know your thruput, but I'm guessing it isn't much more than mine. Bottom line is that I don't feel guilty for the minor environmental impact I have, but I don't live in an inversion zone, either. So back to me first thought - when should I look for your U-Haul?

Later
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                      The story I got when they started carding for paint in California was to keep it out of the hands of teenagers (which is still BS, cause I know I was painting things in Highschool) to reduce both Tagging and to stop idiots from huffing it (Chrome and Gold Chrome paints supposibly get you the highest : )
                      Silverbullet Two different deals. The spray cans at any hardware store, or place like that that has racks of rattle cans, has them all locked up behind a cage! :o For the reason you state. That would be a criminal enforcement and the police would be involved. Commercial paint stores are visited by the air quality district. That would be a civil fine that would put them out of business. They can't come after a citizen so they go after a business (that has "little" pockets) but a license they can take away! Since this is a technical forum I won't waste anymore time here.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                        Might want to move to NC! . . . . Bottom line is that I don't feel guilty for the minor environmental impact I have, but I don't live in an inversion zone, either. So back to me first thought - when should I look for your U-Hau
                        For some strange reason my trailer can never get any farther east than Wendover Utah (as in Bonneville). Things always seem to break and then it is back to calif to fix them for a year. ;D

Comment

Land Speed Racing? Hey, we got Land Speed Racing! We even got Keith Turk!

I know - we don't have 7 miles in a line, but we also don't corrode the crap out of everything you own. It's a trade-off.

Later
                          Dan

Comment

The best time was when it was rain shortened two years ago. I hit every rivlet, stream, and puddle of water I could find on that 650 mile drive back. Arrived home with a perfectly salt-free car. ;D

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I found some use Iwata guns and am giving them a try.Too bad we dont have soem straight road here in NC. Would love to open up some of my projects.Thanks again for all your input.

Comment

Working...
                              X